Safelock, wtf?

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Today the car started warning me about "Check SAFELOCK! See owner's manual." Didn't find anything about safelock. It says it every time I turn the ignition off. Goddammit.

ali831

Apr 19, 2008
hampshire
mine has done it from day one when i get in the car. Not sure about whether it says it when I turn ignition off, I don't hang around long enough to notice lol

Last edited:

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
It's a warning that if you exit the vehicle and lock the car anybody still inside will be trapped as the interior door handles won't work.

It's pretty stupid because SAFELOCK doesn't mean anything unless it's buried in the manual somewhere but from what I remember it's not called SAFELOCK in the manual anyway it's just a description of what happens.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
From the manual:

Anti-theft security system (Safelock)*
The following message is displayed on the instrument
panel to remind the driver that
when the vehicle is closed from the outside,
the anti-theft security system is switched on.
Do not forget the Safelock.
Please see Instruction Manual.

The vehicle cannot be opened from inside. This
makes it more difficult for unauthorised persons
to break into the vehicle.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
As above, anyone left inside is trapped with no way out (unless they can crawl into the boot and operate the little switch thing to get the tailgate open, but they would not know this). If you want to let them exit you need to second press the key to turn the deadlocks off

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
But "Check SAFELOCK" sounds like an error message to me...

Your not wrong, it's as clear as mud.
When I first got my brand new mk2 leon I though it was some sort of error message.
Even the manual is vague on it.
And most dealers don't seem to know what it means either, seem to recall another member mention that their dealer though it ment push down clutch to start car :blink:

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Press the key once it's like a deadlock, not possible to open from inside or outside therfore no good if you leave anyone locked in.

Press twice and the door can be opened from inside but not outside. If say you left your kids in the car, they'd be safe from intruders but could get out in an emergency.

Safelock, rtfm!

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise