Santa`s JABBA IHI powered LCR

flipflop

reading this spec has made me grin from ear to ear,sounds amazing im v jelous,would love to see car one day.

Balf2k

Jul 5, 2006
South East Kent
That really is one damn fine car, you must be so proud of it. If you're ever near Dover in Kent please please please take me out in it :drool:

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
Thats a hell of alot smoother than i thought she would be!

The vids try to illustrate of the actual reality, for the average enthusiast, of running the car – rather than blandly quoting dyno figures, and 0-60 times to the 4th decimal place.

The `fuel consumption` clip shows what can be expected from normal use – the `zone 1` figure [32.8mpg] is a `best possible` case, and was obtained on a light throttle 60/70 cruise down the `M` way, back from a shopping trip – the zone`2`[29mpg average over 1900+ miles] is a normal enthusiast’s average – persistent `mentalness` will give spot figures around 23mpg

With all the extra performance on tap over the standard KO 4 effort, the car is a still far from being a mega `gas guzzler` and regularly returns figures not far off those of standard LCR - which in practice means, that you can afford to go out in it!! – an important consideration for petrol heads like me!!

I get interested if I don’t get my usual 320+ miles per tank between fill – ups!!

There has been much discussion in the forum about `turbo lag` and `spool up`etc, and for general daily use, these concepts are indeed very important – there`s nothing worse in `day to day` use, than constantly encountering that `gutless` feeling and having to change down, when you want to react quickly, and move briskly to pass, or to avoid danger.

The `top gear` clip shows the excellent flexibility and smoothness of the setup – I’m quite happy to let it slow to 2.5k in top, and pull away.
I don’t feel disadvantaged by any lack of `grunt` in normal road use, cycling back and forth in top between 2.5k and 4k – and of course, given its head, the car moves along very smartly indeed.

FWD cars are notoriously difficult to launch properly from a standing start – very powerful FWD cars are extremely difficult to launch properly - as you can see in the `standing start` clip:rolleyes:

When you are considering engine mods which you feel will give you an extra 10~20 bhp advantage over the opposition, it’s always worthwhile contemplating the prospect of just how easy it is to squander the 100+ bhp advantage you may already have - as a consequence of deficiencies in the vehicle’s chassis and running gear, the vagaries of our inclement weather, or the simple failings in ones driving technique!!! - or indeed some devilish combination of all three factors!

`4th/5th/ 6th - run out` clip shows what’s available using the full performance through the upper gears.
The IHI may well now be on the bottom rung of the`Big Turbo` ladder - in truth, I feel it still shows a good account of itself even in the presence more `exalted company.

There is lots of `performance` data on the net - videos, dyno runs, power claims and all the rest, but in fact, it’s very difficult to draw accurate comparisons from that data, and arrive at valid conclusions about what’s `better` - there are so many variables to consider when trying to make a meaningful judgement.

On the day in question, and under the conditions prevailing at the time, you can see that the IHI car traversed the indicated 60-120 mph in well under 9 seconds!
In my experience, performance of this nature, in practical `road` terms, puts the car very much in Porsche 996 Turbo territory!

Sure there are faster cars – not that many - and there are a heck of a lot of so called `performance vehicles`, which are a fair bit slower than an IHI LCR.

However it’s when you consider the car’s available outright performance, and you then factor in considerations of excellent fuel economy and flexibility of power delivery, that you begin to see why the whole mix adds up to a pretty irresistible fun package - never boring, always challenging – be sure, it’s addictive stuff!

I recall one particular journey – the outward leg involved a chance encounter with a beautiful piece of Italian exotica. The `lowly` Leon surprised all concerned, not least the Ferrari driver, with its ability to hold station with the best efforts of the Italian `mega - star`

The return leg consisted of helping a friend to move house, so it was utility mode! - back seat down, pile everything in, and a gentle cruise back home!!

I remember contemplating the contrasting aspects of the whole trip, smiling broadly to myself, and saying – some kinda hot hatch is this!!:funk: - and it’s a Seat too!!:)

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Rubbish Vid Wullie - Because you cant see the Ko3s Beeza shooting away - When you planning to go to Crail next and i'll mount the camera forward for an even better vid? You going to the meet tonight @BH?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Just thought would be nice to hear from him. His Leon was one of the reason I got one all those years ago.

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
Just thought would be nice to hear from him. His Leon was one of the reason I got one all those years ago.
Thanks for the thought, nice of you! - I'm flattered:redface:

I still have the the Jabbacar, and its going fine, amazing really, at it is now very close to the 100,000 mile mark!

1213114036rb4.jpg

By zed06head at 2008-04-03
1213051520ec5.jpg

By zed06head at 2008-04-03

It is still the best fun car I ever owned, and the fact that it has run with mods since day one, covered the last 60000 miles at an output of 200bhp/litre,and stayed reliable into the bargin is just incredible - big respect to VAG enginering and of course the lads at Jabba.

I have had no real problems to talk of - the car, rather like its owner is not in the first flush of youth anymore, but it can still give a fair account of itself even in very exotic company.

It's almost 4 years since I had the work done, and other FWD platforms are catching up now and offering the same or even more power, but I still think for all round everyday road use, the spec of the car is spot on - good economy, flexibility, reliability, and Q car performance - ah! I can still see the look on those M3 guys faces
I decided just to leave the car as Jabba intended and not to go for more power, because I have other projects on the go, just now, namely,

this:-

galforest3yy5.jpg

By zed06head, shot with Canon PowerShot G7 at 2007-08-01

and this

3edvv3.jpg

By zed06head, shot with Canon PowerShot G7 at 2008-03-22

I have this too just in case I get bored!:-

xmasday082ht5.jpg

By zed06head, shot with Canon PowerShot G7 at 2008-12-28

I am modding my Corvette Z06 to Katech Street Attack tune, and I have just had a fully 'built' forged motor fitted -Katech Titanium rods and valves, forged pistons, ARE Stage 3 drysump, Lingenfelter flowed inlet and heads, Kooks 4 branch headers, Exedy clutch, LG motorsports carbon fibre propshaft etc, - the list goes on and so does the cost!!! - the car is waiting to be mapped nest week:funk:

This Z06 project is very very expensive!!! - here's a pic of the new engine!

Out with the old engine, in with the new!

img03131.jpg

By zed06head, shot with Canon PowerShot G7 at 2009-07-04
img03141u.jpg

By zed06head, shot with Canon PowerShot G7 at 2009-07-04

The Z06 should be quite nippy when its finished! - here's a link with me in the pilot seat, showing what the standard car does to TVRs, over 7/8 mile drag.

http://www.youtube.com/user/longbow96#play/all/uploads-all/1/ziH_Nrt1Ooc

Cheers!:)

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Brilliant update Songman!

I am sure everyone is glad you still love the Leon and remain in the SEAT fold :)

-SlicK

No smoke, No poke
Nov 23, 2008
Beith, Scotland
Lovely cars songman, I saw you in your wee swift when i was heading to get my sister at school. It looks like a lovely motor too, cant be standard with those exhausts sticking out the back ;)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Out of interest, do you think you can get more power out of your current setup? From reading through I see you got 1.25bar at 7500 which is pretty impressive.

Also and been meaning to ask you this for ages, which gauge do you have and do you have a new south steering column mount?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members