Sat Nav questions

AndrewRL

Jun 17, 2021
I don't know if a resolution has been posted anywhere else but a bit of an update on the sat nav and offroad/coordinates....

Researching other posts/discussions here and an other VAG forums there was talk of system preferences and setting the system so that your user allows location (I can't remember the exact terminology). So I went through the process of adding myself to the system so that I could do this (the car was set up with "Guest"). Annoyingly this essentially means that my name is displayed (why do you need to sign in/set up a profile to get standard kit to work :mad:). It also meant that the car reset all its settings (ambient lighting, heating, cleared home location etc etc). Having done all this, over several days I received the "car needs to update settings" message which I stupidly clicked OK so went through all the set up again.

Long and short of it was that there was no change to the sat nav and the appearance of coordinates/offroad :rolleyes:

....until about two weeks later when I got into the car and entered a full postcode and it showed the full destination and not offroad/coordinates! Touch wood it has stayed like this although I have learned not to click "OK" when it says it needs to change settings!

I don't have full proof but the irritating slowing down when passing cars that are on the left also seems to have stopped (when using the ACC).

I do still get the kph speed limits on occasions though (45, 90, 110).

Now, if the sat nav could boot up a bit quicker so I don't keep getting reminders not to run the engine when stationary I would almost be a happy chappy :)

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
I don't know if a resolution has been posted anywhere else but a bit of an update on the sat nav and offroad/coordinates....

Researching other posts/discussions here and an other VAG forums there was talk of system preferences and setting the system so that your user allows location (I can't remember the exact terminology). So I went through the process of adding myself to the system so that I could do this (the car was set up with "Guest"). Annoyingly this essentially means that my name is displayed (why do you need to sign in/set up a profile to get standard kit to work :mad:). It also meant that the car reset all its settings (ambient lighting, heating, cleared home location etc etc). Having done all this, over several days I received the "car needs to update settings" message which I stupidly clicked OK so went through all the set up again.

Long and short of it was that there was no change to the sat nav and the appearance of coordinates/offroad :rolleyes:

....until about two weeks later when I got into the car and entered a full postcode and it showed the full destination and not offroad/coordinates! Touch wood it has stayed like this although I have learned not to click "OK" when it says it needs to change settings!

I don't have full proof but the irritating slowing down when passing cars that are on the left also seems to have stopped (when using the ACC).

I do still get the kph speed limits on occasions though (45, 90, 110).

Now, if the sat nav could boot up a bit quicker so I don't keep getting reminders not to run the engine when stationary I would almost be a happy chappy :)
That's sort of good news. Perhaps you got a map update or software update. It's all to do with the lookup tables in it. Mib2 high works fine with the full postcode assigned to a road segment, not coordinates. It could be their developers misunderstood the tables they were given but they have been able to issue a fix.

Using your user location is always good in anycase in GPS systems unless you intend to commit a crime, cheat or whatever. Maybe by not using your exact location it proxies your location from the road contours. Mib2 high calibrates it's exact position after driving it around a bit.

I guess theory one you forced an update... So it's using the navigation data files correctly.

On kph the mib2 high defaults to kph untill the ignition is on... it picks up the car should be on mph from systems other than the infotainment system. I guess it's doing something similar defaults to kph and doesn't get out of that for a bit, restarted or re-read the parameter file.

I guess boot up will continue to be slow... probably needs a faster processor unless their code isn't very tight. In the old days you left test code in it then compiled with it out and it ran faster but given cars don't use Fortran that might not be the solution. Debug code would be taken out... 🙄. You couldn't debug but it ran faster.

---

Can anyone else check the solution.... So we know it work and what software release / map release it works with.

Last edited:

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Software 1672 navigation 21.5

I've always had postcode search where it shows the full address.

Tried with my connect account in both max privacy and share position and postcode search still had the full address. Then tried with the guest user in max privacy, postcode search still worked fine. Only used the 1 postcode though, Heathrow's (TW6 2GW).

I have a issue with kph and PACC. If you restart the infotainment (touch button for 10 seconds) while the ignition is on the car starts reading mph road signs as kph and converts them into mph. The best fix I've found is to turn the ignition off and back on.

Pass 30 mph sign
Car reads it as 30 kph
Sets PACC to 19 mph

There is a units menu in the infotainment settings. It changes the dashboard too but not the dial view (dial is still in mph)

IMG_20210731_160934.jpg

IMG_20210731_160948.jpg

The radio is normally on and waiting when I unlock the car. If I haven't had the car locked for long (10/15 minutes) and unlock it the radio for some reason does a full reboot. Maps always takes longer to load up but normally less than a minute.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Reckon you should try a range of postcodes on a residential road with a bend in it to fully test it. Like roads with crescents.

MK19 7AN

MK19 7AW

Could be candidates for pushing the coordinates off road. Reckon they would be for people with the issue. Two arcs of a crescent road.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Tried in guest with max privacy

For MK19 7AN I got this
IMG_20210731_164752.jpg

IMG_20210731_164801.jpg

MK19 7AW this
IMG_20210731_164451.jpg

IMG_20210731_164504.jpg

Tried with a few local postcodes, it always seems to take you to the road than the actual location (where the contacts icon is)
IMG_20210731_165415.jpg

Tell

Staff member
)They might be doing it better now. AW one should be on the top bar, the other post codes run on the sides and bottom. I guess they have sorted out their processing now. Those are residential ones.

Business address postcodes (large user postcodes) which only have one point on the map I could see they could show you the point but the Here Maps road anchor that relates to it. Business POIs get the blob and the anchor point on the road.

Residential addresses with house numbers share the post code but if street numbered get their own anchor on the house number.

In this example if they have implemented the Here Maps data if you tap in 52 The Crescent MK... should put you too right of the ark. 1 The Creseent MK top left. As attached. That's the Here Maps data that tallies with the OS Local Authority planning map which shows the house numbers.

That's why I always say use the house numbering if you can rather than the postcode. Business address (large users) always only have one so that doesn't apply but residential address share postcodes.

To make postcodes work alone they have to be placed on the segments of the road. Clearly some of the ones reported early didn't.

So in summary what you have is fixed (sort of) 😂.

Screenshot_20210731-182242.png Screenshot_20210731-182356.png

Your kph issue must be that after a reboot it's not re reading the cars other system(s) where the mph setting is picked up, unlike the mib2 (I think). I only see kph before I start it then they revert to mph.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.