Sat nav doing weird things

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Hi All
the sat. nav in my 2019 Leon has started acting very weird.
I will set a route and start following it and then I can hear clicks ( like someone is touching the screen) and things will change- for instance a n address marker just popped up and asked if I wanted to navigate to it. then the existing route stopped until I pressed the little car icon on the right.
Its just like a ghost is touching/playing with the screen!
It did this about 3 times in a 10min journey.

Any ideas on what could be causing it?

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
It sounds like the touchscreen might be damaged, but I'd start with rebooting the infotainment system. Press and hold the power button, and keep it pressed until it powers off and then it will come back on, then release the power button.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Thanks for that.
It only seems to do it first thing in the morning when its cold. But I will try rebooting it.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
If it does turn out to be a faulty screen - it is not silly money to have it replaced.

yorkshire_bob

Apr 29, 2023
South Yorkshire
Thanks for that.
It only seems to do it first thing in the morning when its cold. But I will try rebooting it.
Mine occasionally does the same, first thing and usually only when it's raining or damp outside. Stops after a few minutes but suspect it's the touch screen on the way out as already suggested earlier.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Thanks for that.
It was a bit of a known issue when the weather gets colder and damper. Mine went through a stupid phase about 3 years ago but finally sorted itself out.

Don't know if it's worth trying to clean the screen. You've not be touching it with oily/sticky fingers?

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Thanks for the replies.
I have spoken to the seller (Skoda dealer) who are looking into.
I will check the firmware version and also try wiping the screen with a cloth as suggested.
But no sticky fingers etc

KV100

May 14, 2019
This has happened to me too. I found that the screen had condensation on the front and after drying it off, it was fine.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It seems to be a common problem caused by condensation on cold mornings. Had it on two out of the four Leons we've had. I think giving the screen a wipe with some sort of screen cleaner might help but I'm guessing.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
THanks guys.
I actually managed to film it to send to the dealer.
I wiped the screen before I started the car ( it wasnt damp) At first it was very unresponsive to the touch, then after 2 min it stared to do its random switching !!!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
THanks guys.
I actually managed to film it to send to the dealer.
I wiped the screen before I started the car ( it wasnt damp) At first it was very unresponsive to the touch, then after 2 min it stared to do its random switching !!!
You night get the screen replaced. depends on how good the dealer is. I think we had one replaced but it was years ago, I forget. I remember taking videos like you have.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Dealer has come back to me saying that that have found some who will replace the digitiser but wants the car for a few days.
This is a huge pain as they are over 100m away.
I am tempted to say that I will remove the unit myself. Presumably the car is still driveable without the touchscreen?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I doubt they'll let you do it yourself. Do you have a closer dealer that could do it?

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
I doubt they'll let you do it yourself. Do you have a closer dealer that could do it?
Sadly not as its not new its from a dealer in bognor. To be fair they have been pretty good considering it is secondhand. Legally they have to repair it with inconvenience to myself which means(in my book) them picking up the car with a replacement, sorting it out and returning it. I feel thats a real pain for everyone, so If its easy to remove I will suggest that

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Sadly not as its not new its from a dealer in bognor. To be fair they have been pretty good considering it is secondhand. Legally they have to repair it with inconvenience to myself which means(in my book) them picking up the car with a replacement, sorting it out and returning it. I feel thats a real pain for everyone, so If its easy to remove I will suggest that
It's a bit of a PITA to remove the facelift screen, it can only be done by removing the vent assembly and operating the spring loaded lugs that secure the screen to the surround.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members