Satnav stopped working

donelson

Mar 8, 2022
My SEAT Leon SatNav has ceased to work and I have been told that this can only be dealt with via an authorised SEAT dealer. The message I get is “Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data.”

I would like to know whether this can be fixed by updating the SatNav card or by some cheaper means and to know approximate costs.

emesee

Aug 6, 2015
I expect you have already tried this, but occasionally my satnav stops. I can’t recall the exact message I get, but it’s always solved by removing the SD card and then putting back in its slot. Might be worth a try?

donelson

Mar 8, 2022
Thank you for this. It did not work. I think it is more fundamental because the Media option is also not working.

Reactions: emesee

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Thank you for this. It did not work. I think it is more fundamental because the Media option is also not working.
Have you tried a soft reset? Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds or until you hear the speakers pop then let go.
Also what year/ model is your car?

donelson

Mar 8, 2022
I can find no information about a power button or a soft reset. I would be grateful if you can give me details of how this is done. Many thanks.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I can find no information about a power button or a soft reset. I would be grateful if you can give me details of how this is done. Many thanks.
Perhaps I should have said the On/Off/Volume button, hold it down for about 20 or 30 seconds until the unit restarts then let go.

donelson

Mar 8, 2022
I tried this and heard the speakers pop but it made no difference. On Media I just get "no source available" and the list of sources is greyed out so that none can be selected. Where else can I go for help?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I tried this and heard the speakers pop but it made no difference. On Media I just get "no source available" and the list of sources is greyed out so that none can be selected. Where else can I go for help?
Right, lets start at the beginning, you said that your SatNav has stopped working, has it ever worked since you have had the car? What year and model is your car? Assuming you have 2 SD slots have you tried the Navigation card in the other slot? The 'sources' will be greyed out if there is no recognisable media in them.

donelson

Mar 8, 2022
The SatNav worked from new and only ceased working a few weeks ago. I bought the car in 2014 and it is a Leon 5DR 1.2 TSI SE. I tried the card in the other slot to no effect but strangely on replacing it SD Card 1 seemed to briefly become active. However pressing on it gave a message (briefly) that it was unreadable. I seem to be running out of things to try.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
The SatNav worked from new and only ceased working a few weeks ago. I bought the car in 2014 and it is a Leon 5DR 1.2 TSI SE. I tried the card in the other slot to no effect but strangely on replacing it SD Card 1 seemed to briefly become active. However pressing on it gave a message (briefly) that it was unreadable. I seem to be running out of things to try.
Assuming the SD slots are not faulty, should be easy to test using a SD card with some music on it to see if it plays, then I would suggest that the Map card is faulty, it can happen as it's had 6+ years of use in varied temperatures. You have an MIB1 unit in your car, I think a few members have managed to get working map cards on eBay, do a bit of research on this forum, good luck.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members