Scrolling through radio stations from steering wheel ?

nicka56

Scrolling through preset stations from steering wheel ?

Hi everyone,
I did a search but coudlnt find an answer on this...

I have the bluetooth/steering wheel controls option.

when stereo is switched to FM and using the arrow left/right arrow buttons on the steering wheel, the radio does up/down tuning through the frequencies.

Is there any way to change this to scroll up/down through the preset stations instead of tuning ? It would be a far more useful feature instead of leaning across and hitting 1-6 on the radio itself so having to take your eyes off the road.

Once you add your fave stations as presets, how often do you need to tune in a new one anyway !? I almost always want to switch between my often used stations.

any suggestions gratefully received.

thanks,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Xe

Are you sure that you have preset your stations? Don't forget you have FM1 and FM2 to add even more favourite stations.
If selecting stations using the 1-6 buttons on the radio head unit, then the up and down buttons on the steering wheel should work.

MarkR

I also have the same so I'm not sure it is possible. I have 6 different stations preset but the controls just scan through the frequency rather than the presets as you stated.

nicka56

this doesnt seem very consistent - it works for Xe but not for me or MarkR.
we have steering wheel controls on our audi and up/down goes through the presets, not the tuning.

Perhaps its to do with the age of the car ?
mine is a Sept 56 TDI Sport

or maybe its a setting somewhere ?
anyone ?!!

megahz

same happens to me too, there is no way to choose through the preset.

nicka56

Bluetooth ?

Are you sure that you have preset your stations? Don't forget you have FM1 and FM2 to add even more favourite stations.
If selecting stations using the 1-6 buttons on the radio head unit, then the up and down buttons on the steering wheel should work.

Xe - do you have bluetooth ?
which buttons on the wheel activate the scrolling through the presets?
the only up/down buttons I have are on the right side of the wheel next to the vol up/down ?

thanks,
nick

MarkR

When you have the bluetooth option there are two or even three buttons used for the phone. Hence there are less for the radio. i think this is the problem.

I think you have hit the nail on the head as the right hand side of the wheel is for the stereo but all 4 buttons on the left are for the phone.

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Hmm.... interesting, I hardly use the Radio (mp3 CDs takes priority) and if I do, then it's left on the news channel so that the traffic news kicks in.

If you've got the bluetooth phone kit, then have you tried the rocker on the right winscreen switch?!?

If I remember correctly, you use it to scroll up and down through the phonebook so maybe it's linked to the radio as well?!?

Might go fiddle with my radio tomorrow to find out..... will let you know. :D

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Are you holding the < > buttons down on the steering wheel for a few seconds?
I'm sure it works this way for me
Long: when held down
Short: pressed and released quickly
Radio - Long: Next/Prev preset station, Short: scan frequency up/down
Normal CD - Long: Seek through the track, Short: next/prev track
MP3 CD with mp3s in folders - Long: Next/Prev folder, - Short: next/prev track - only the <> buttons on the headunit seem to seek through track when held down
Ipod - same as for Normal CD - 123456 buttons on HU control playlists.

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
ive had a go at this as something so simple out to be obvious, but also cant get it to work either. i looked in the manual and the manual i have says that if you have bluetooth then the long or shor press doesnt work and you can only those 2 buttons to scroll higher and lower frequency (which is exactly the only thing i can get it to do).

so it looks like you have to change the stations using the numbers on the radio if you have bluetooth, which is a bit pants really!

please correct me if im wrong but mine is working exactly as it says in the manual :confused:
g

ive had a go at this as something so simple out to be obvious, but also cant get it to work either. i looked in the manual and the manual i have says that if you have bluetooth then the long or shor press doesnt work and you can only those 2 buttons to scroll higher and lower frequency (which is exactly the only thing i can get it to do).

so it looks like you have to change the stations using the numbers on the radio if you have bluetooth, which is a bit pants really!

please correct me if im wrong but mine is working exactly as it says in the manual :confused:
g

same and try everything.....................................

nicka56

I too tried the long/short press. keeping it held just made it run throught the frequencies without stopping until I let go.

pants indeed. what designer/engineer could think this could be prefarable to running through the preset stations ? could this be fixed by an ecu upgrade if enough people put in a request to Seat ???

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Sorry all, seems I'm a big fat liar - think i was thinking of my old car :(

Yep, mine also just scans frequencies when listening to the radio - have to use 123456 to change presets.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
its such a bind isnt it, having to press a button with your left forefinger instead of your right thumb!?

what were they thinking during the design stage?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.