Scuffed alloys

Feb 13, 2023
Those look good. Remember to get some protection on them, such as a wheel sealant or wheel wax, stops the brake dust staining them.
What should I be looking to get specifically? I've never done anything like that before so clueless about it all. And as you can see my other ones were quite a mess with that stuff :(

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
What should I be looking to get specifically? I've never done anything like that before so clueless about it all. And as you can see my other ones were quite a mess with that stuff :(
Honestly I wouldn't bother, I ceramic coated my wheels and it lasted maybe 3 months max. Only coating that's good for wheels long term is Modesta BC-06

Regular cleaning with a good wheel cleaner and fallout remover, minimum contact during washing to prevent scratches. I'd recommend something like a Wheel Woolies brush and for chemicals Cartec do an awesome wheel cleaner, very powerful and safe. Any fallout remover will do the job.

Spray Cartec Wheel cleaner, let it dwell for a minute then rinse. Spray fallout remover, let it dwell then lightly agitate with a soft brush and rinse. That's the exact process my friend does and he's a professional detailer.

Feb 13, 2023
Honestly I wouldn't bother, I ceramic coated my wheels and it lasted maybe 3 months max. Only coating that's good for wheels long term is Modesta BC-06

Regular cleaning with a good wheel cleaner and fallout remover, minimum contact during washing to prevent scratches. I'd recommend something like a Wheel Woolies brush and for chemicals Cartec do an awesome wheel cleaner, very powerful and safe. Any fallout remover will do the job.

Spray Cartec Wheel cleaner, let it dwell for a minute then rinse. Spray fallout remover, let it dwell then lightly agitate with a soft brush and rinse. That's the exact process my friend does and he's a professional detailer.
To be honest I'm one of those that has never washed their car themselves, I've gone to hand car washes mostly the last 4/5 years and before that automatic car washes. I've attempted in the past and done a bad job of it so may as well pay someone else to do a better job :cautious:

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Carbon collective platinum wheel sealant is a good one, but any really on this page.

Have a search also on eBay, you might get it for a few quid less.

Feb 13, 2023
How regularly should that be done?

I’ve got Demon wheels spray that I used once and a brush which did a good job will that do the same sort of job?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Decided to have them repainted before getting the new tyres got done for £250
View attachment 36267
Colour looks really good...

But I'm paying a similar price to you for the tyres/valves/weights to be removed, chemical strip, then powder coat on 19" alloys.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again, but would have had the tyres replaced at the same time, so the soft, fresh paint isn't damaged when the old balance weights are removed when new tyres are fitted.

Feb 13, 2023
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again, but would have had the tyres replaced at the same time, so the soft, fresh paint isn't damaged when the old balance weights are removed when new tyres are fitted.
I wish I knew this before. I've had the new tyres fitted and every alloy is now damaged, some much more than I feel is acceptable. Look at this for instance.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I wish I knew this before. I've had the new tyres fitted and every alloy is now damaged, some much more than I feel is acceptable. Look at this for instance.
View attachment 36316

View attachment 36317

View attachment 36318
That’s shocking!

I‘d be going back to the place that fitted the tyres, point out the damage and ask them what the propose to do to rectify it.

They would have been able to see that your wheels were completely unmarked before they removed the old and fitted the new tyres. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing, but I always point out the condition of my wheels to any tyre fitting place I go to before they touch my wheels (weather permitting, I also make sure they’re spotlessly clean too, so it’s easier to agree their condition), and tell them I expect them to be in the same condition after they’ve fitted the new tyres.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Uhoh looks like the paint was soft or laid too thick.

Yeah always best to find somewhere that refurbs wheels that takes the tyres off. Masking up is a rather rough imo

Feb 13, 2023
Uhoh looks like the paint was soft or laid too thick.

Yeah always best to find somewhere that refurbs wheels that takes the tyres off. Masking up is a rather rough imo
Well this has been a costly mistake, knew it was going too well.

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Well this has been a costly mistake, knew it was going too well.
Unfortunately looks like a wet paint job on just the faces, as they haven't removed or even taken the tyre orr the bead. Was this done by a body shop rather than a wheel refurb company? The onus here is on the tyre garage though, the damage around the wheel bolts is unacceptable. The marks around the edge will be unavoidable as they just masked around the tyre when they painted them, so it will always lift as the tyre comes off.

I don't know where you're based but I pay less than £200 for full refurbishment of 4 wheels Inc vat (£48 a wheel), as long as I take the tyres off (or they'll do this for an extra fee - and if you do this route they guarantee they won't damage them when fitting the tyres after refurb). They're based in Hemel Hempstead which is about an hour and half for me each way, so I normally wait until someone else wants some doing or I have a few sets.

You win some and lose some unfortunately. These experiences are learning lessons though so not all bad. I'm sure the wheels look great in that colour if you're not up close looking for little marks.

Matt_anderson

May 8, 2022
North West
Playing devils advocate to the people saying it’s the tyre shop. This looks far from a quality paint job on the alloys no?

Attachments

• AE7A5923-8ED6-4CB3-B041-F11C3AE29754.jpeg
    AE7A5923-8ED6-4CB3-B041-F11C3AE29754.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 80
Feb 13, 2023
I was thinking that as I did notice that after I picked the car up from having the alloys done, not much I can do now, other than get them done at a proper alloy place if I ever did again which I doubt :mad:

Feb 13, 2023
Your best bet is to claim from the tyre shop, however it’s not a quality job when they have left the tyres on, air plugs etc so meh. Pay for what you get. From other posts I pick up you’re on a budget so must be aware you get what you pay for it’s not all going to be perfect unfortunately pal
I only saved about £30 for the alloys so I still paid quite a bit for how the body shop did it 😞

I’ve contacted the tyre place and sent them the photos and been told the operations manager will be in touch but not sure how that will go, have never had to do anything like this before. How can I prove they were not already like that?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I only saved about £30 for the alloys so I still paid quite a bit for how the body shop did it 😞

I’ve contacted the tyre place and sent them the photos and been told the operations manager will be in touch but not sure how that will go, have never had to do anything like this before. How can I prove they were not already like that?
This thread will provide the evidence that the wheels were only recently refurbished.

As they've only recently been done, the body shop could probably complete a smart repair (which is effectively what they've done in the first place).

Unfortunately we learn from our mistakes, hence my previous post!

Feb 13, 2023
This thread will provide the evidence that the wheels were only recently refurbished.

As they've only recently been done, the body shop could probably complete a smart repair (which is effectively what they've done in the first place).

Unfortunately we learn from our mistakes, hence my previous post!
I sent the tyre place the images and they've called and apologised and said they'll put me in touch with a alloy wheel refurbisher who will come to my house and sort them out so hopefully this will work out.

Reactions: jdubya
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.