SEAT have ruined the LEON

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
It's certainly got the Hyundai look going on.
289c350a6b66e6d5a736ae60baf86e24.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: OJ9693 and Brimfull

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
Meh I quite like it. I think once we start seeing them on the road it'll change people's opinions somewhat, there's always a backlash against newer models of any car...

I'll be interested to see what changes, if any, the Cupra variant will have.

Reactions: Peller

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Meh I quite like it. I think once we start seeing them on the road it'll change people's opinions somewhat, there's always a backlash against newer models of any car...

We've been told the CUPRA will have 60% difference over the std model. That's a much bigger percentage than the last generation.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh

Interesting little snippet from Autocar interview.

Can you tell us more about the Cupra variants?

There will be both plug-in hybrid and straight petrol Cupra Leons. We have an outstanding sporty brand. We’re tuning them to be sportier. Just last week, I had the 306bhp engine in the estate and it was just not noisy enough; we talk about exhaust backfire, sportier shifting and more direct steering.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
New Cupra anyone? Joking aside, I'm sure it'll be a very nice car.

As mentioned above, it's just a matter of time until we get used to seeing them in the wild, many of us will have a mk4 soon enough.
921e08d34e3a02303f3c693c6523417f.jpg
5744c971fcfeef065babec43a1b9dde6.jpg

vicalva

Cup Racing R - Legend
Aug 13, 2003
Madrid
Visit site
It looks quite attractive to me. I'll admit my very first impression at the official presentation wasn't great but after seeing several mini reviews I had a better look at it. I now find it quite striking. The only detail I'm not a fan of is the massive C pillar in the hatchback version. It looks much better to me in the estate model. Will reserve my final verdict for when I see it IRL, but so far so good, very promising. I'm also looking forward to the pluggable hybrid and the Cupra version of course.

Edit:
I can now safely say I absolutely love the exterior. I find it unbelievably good looking. I even like the ST estate and I generally hate estates bar a few (RS4 / RS6 / Alfa 159). I'm sooo looking forward to seeing the Cupra version. I would love a pluggable hybrid Cupra with 300hp. This to me is simply the most beautiful Leon ever made.

The interior is nice but I don't like having to interact with a touchscreen, although I realise it's here to stay unfortunately. I find it distracting and outright dangerous while driving. It draws my attention far more than I'd like to in my wife's Passat for instance in spite of offering still a few knobs and buttons. I can't imagine having to do everything through the screen. Such a PITA but it won't stop me from getting one if I love it IRL. My LCR mk1 is getting old and is fast approaching 300k km since I bought it in 2003. The MK4 Cupra could be a worthy successor.

Last edited:

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site

Some interesting stuff in there, being able to pre-heat the cabin with the plug-in hybrid version is interesting. I think I'll wait and see what the new Audi A3 will look like. My A4 goes back in September and it's really beginning to annoy me how slow VAG are at releasing details the Golf mk8 is still 'coming soon' at least the new Leon has some details but still no pricing.

Don't like the fake exhaust holes though, and some videos of the rear make it look really high rather than hunched and aggressive.

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
Sorry to have to say it, but SEAT have ruined the LEON with the MK4. I thought the new Golf was horribly ugly, but this new Leon takes the crown.

What on earth have they done?

Video:

I have to agree as a long time LEON fan thats PIG UGLY end of
Sorry but i wont be running one
Long live the Mk3 as its twice the car too look at.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Having seen the MK4 in the flesh tonight it's 100% a car that looks better in the flesh! I remember when the MK3 launched and everybody went "god no". MK3 has been SEAT's best selling Leon yet (obviously cheap lease deals help).

CUPRA Leon is launching in February, CUPRA CEO has confirmed to my face tonight expect similar power to outgoing model. Formentor will have more eventually.

I did ask him if the CUPRA Leon will get more aka CUPRA R he neither confirmed or denied it. There will be a 4WD CUPRA Leon as well. Couldn't get out of him wether they will be all 4WD or only some.

Reactions: Zer0 and Peller

Skipp

Oct 15, 2018
Front looks ok. The side silhouette is very similar to MK3. The back is horrible, and the lack of physical knobs/buttons/controls on the interior is a horrible trend new "tech" cars follow. I've already said it once - but this new model makes me love my Mk3 even more now :D

Reactions: Leonfr140

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I think they have maybe made it intentionally lame so that the cupra leon has more impact
I think it is FR spec due to the spoiler and black 'wings' on each side of the rear window and maybe different front lower grilles.

I've been reading that the full rear strip LED will be model specific/optional.

The lesser spec models may look quite sparse.

On the upside, now that I've watched a couple of videos on the big screen, the car looks good. Let's hope the Cupra adds some meat to the overall design.

Fooxy

Nov 27, 2015
Don’t know if it’s mentioned in the article but heard from a dealer that they won’t be a SC version anymore in either the new Audi A3, Golf 8 or SEAT MK4 only 5 door or estate options.

don’t know how true it is, but think it would be a shame to lose the coupé.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Don’t know if it’s mentioned in the article but heard from a dealer that they won’t be a SC version anymore in either the new Audi A3, Golf 8 or SEAT MK4 only 5 door or estate options.

don’t know how true it is, but think it would be a shame to lose the coupé.

They dropped the SC with the MK3 - no more built after April 2018
VW did the same with the Golf
Audi also dropped 3 door A3/S3 models

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise