SEAT have ruined the LEON

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
I doubt that. Even the facelift we've just bought is worse than the car before. Screen is slightly bigger but ease of use is worse with zero added functionality. These cars are being designed for and by the Facebook generation.
Certain cars do seem to be marketed more as devices these days as oppose to what they are i.e. cars! I'm getting ever closer to 50 so I accept I'm not their target demographic. However neither am I a technophobe. I welcome and enjoy tech when it does something USEFUL. Yes this is obviously subjective but for me, having more and more functions controlled via a screen, being able to open and start a car without a key, being able to change the interior 'mood' lighting etc are all frivolous and unnecessary to varying degrees. I'm far from being anti touch screen, however for me all the main functions should still be tweakable via good old fashioned buttons and knobs :)

And another thing, I'm not saying mechanical locking was ever that secure on cars, but I do chuckle (not at the owners I may add!) when I read stories about premium cars being nicked with ease (sometimes under 30 secs) cause it can all be hacked and done electroincally.

Yeah, progress indeed ...

Reactions: Mr Pig

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
What happens in 6 or 7 years time (in the second hand market) when the panel 'dies' and the poor owner needs a mortgage to fix it (or scrap the car).

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Many of the changes they make to cars compromise safety. Foam instead of a spare, fiddly controls in a screen rather than buttons. They banned using phones in cars because it was too distracting then they let manufacturers do all this crap?

Reactions: red line fun

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Many of the changes they make to cars compromise safety. Foam instead of a spare, fiddly controls in a screen rather than buttons. They banned using phones in cars because it was too distracting then they let manufacturers do all this crap?
I've wondered this many times - why is using a touchscreen in a car is considered acceptable, when using a hand held phone isn’t (and rightly so).

And @Yern; yes, I’d anticipate the cost of replacing a failed touchscreen won‘t be cheap. I dare say they’re quite a bit cheaper to manufacture than conventional controls as there aren’t any moving parts, but I’d anticipate the cost to replace one if (or more probably when) it fails outside warranty will be significant.

Reactions: Yern and Mr Pig

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It is crazy i can guarantee answering a ringing mobile and talking to someone with your eyes still on the road is a lot less dangerous than fiddling about with an infortainment system. Yet one is illegal and one is perfectly acceptable. Boggles thy mind

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've wondered this many times - why is using a touchscreen in a car is considered acceptable, when using a hand held phone isn’t (and rightly so).

Exactly. From where I'm sitting it seems that there is no regulatory body examining the features car makers build into their cars, before they are implemented. It is only afterwards questions are asked and even then, only if there is evidence of a big problem. Incremental negative changes pass right under the radar.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
What happens in 6 or 7 years time (in the second hand market) when the panel 'dies' and the poor owner needs a mortgage to fix it (or scrap the car).

You say that like it might not be exactly what car manufacturers want?

Reactions: red line fun

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
You say that like it might not be exactly what car manufacturers want?
Whilst I suppose everything has a built in 'shelf life' OEM's still want a healthy pool of and trade in, used cars which have a name for quality and reliability...if there is such thing these days! In days gone by of mechanical controls, heater cables and dare I say plugs and points (for those that remember) it was very rare other than major mechanical failure I couldn't get it working again myself and at low cost. That said I'm all for progress in automotive engineering and technology which I love (y).

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
In days gone by of mechanical controls, heater cables and dare I say plugs and points (for those that remember) it was very rare other than major mechanical failure I couldn't get it working again myself and at low cost.

Cars are much more reliable today, no question, but when they do go bork it's often more expensive to fix and less likely you'll be able to do it yourself. I remember when the temperature dropping below freezing meant looking out of he window wondering if your car would start in the morning. Because there was a good chance it wouldn't. Today cars just start, first kick, every time. They also don't have bodywork that dissolves after five years and engines that are tired out by 100k.

But they'll always get you. So we now have screens that cost £500 and coding that makes it harder to do things on the drive. Still, I like having cars that start in the winter.

Reactions: Wings988 and Bigals

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Cars are much more reliable today, no question, but when they do go bork it's often more expensive to fix and less likely you'll be able to do it yourself. I remember when the temperature dropping below freezing meant looking out of he window wondering if your car would start in the morning. Because there was a good chance it wouldn't. Today cars just start, first kick, every time. They also don't have bodywork that dissolves after five years and engines that are tired out by 100k.

But they'll always get you. So we now have screens that cost £500 and coding that makes it harder to do things on the drive. Still, I like having cars that start in the winter.
Those were the days - my first car was an MG Metro Turbo - it was 6 years old when I got it in 1992. In winter I had to put cardboard in front of the radiator to keep it warm enough. Then the gearbox disintegrated, engine mounts failed, head gasket blown (*2) - I spent a fortune keeping it running. It also was so coked up it would run on for about 30 seconds after turning it off lol. Ah memories.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Lol - I‘m Mark and I used to own an MG. I need to talk about it.
Ah, so you were the Metro Turbo owner...we knew it was someone who had one :D.

I can remember my parents used to put a sump heater under the car in winter...and it was parked in the garage!!

But we digress - back to the MK4...

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I can only agree with the sentiment that the complete touchscreen system is worse than button and dials for the heating controls etc. I've had several Pug/Citroen hire cars and they're just awful with touch screen for everything. Also not keen on the looks of the Mk4 either, it's not for me. My Mk3 Cupra 300 SC manual lease ended in March so I bought the car from VW finance for a reasonable price and as it's a spec you won't get on Mk4 Cupra I think I'll keep it for a few years at least. Now I'm working from home my mileage has reduced significantly. It could well be a keeper to be honest, one of the last 3 door manual hot hatches.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.