Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4L TSI (2015) - Reliability

Jan 12, 2019
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum so I am hoping I've posted my thread in the correct place. Essentially, I'm looking to purchase a 2015 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4L TSI with around 20,000 miles on the clock and I have a few questions regarding reliability issues.

I've read up online that people have issues with the DSG gearbox and the engine, however was this specifically for the earlier models or does it also affect the 2015 one too?

I think the car is gorgeous and quick for the money, however I'm just worried I'll have a load of issues with it so I would love to know peoples ownership thoughts as to wether I would experience issues with a 2015 model.

Thanks for your help! :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well at least it has in its favour that it will be an end of the run engine and gearbox!

So much has been written about how fragile these badly designed/re-designed twin charger engines can be, I'd be thinking about letting it possibly becoming someone else's problem down the line.

I'm sure that without ever driving a car with that engine, it does seem to be a jewel of an engine, but it will always remain a very flawed jewel, so much so that VW Group dropped it like a hot potato and moved to get similar performance out of a less stressed 1.8TSI and now a 2.0TSI both without the needs for twin charging them.

Jan 12, 2019
Well at least it has in its favour that it will be an end of the run engine and gearbox!

So much has been written about how fragile these badly designed/re-designed twin charger engines can be, I'd be thinking about letting it possibly becoming someone else's problem down the line.

I'm sure that without ever driving a car with that engine, it does seem to be a jewel of an engine, but it will always remain a very flawed jewel, so much so that VW Group dropped it like a hot potato and moved to get similar performance out of a less stressed 1.8TSI and now a 2.0TSI both without the needs for twin charging them.

Yeah that would be one positive about it I suppose haha! What sort of mileage do you think problems would start occurring with it, or can they just start at any time really with the engine and gearbox they put in those models?

It's not surprising that VW decided to drop it for the 1.8L! It's a shame really as the insurance on the 1.8L is vastly more expensive because of my age compared with the 1.4L even though the performance is similar to a degree. I've been looking around at other cars on the market, I've recently seen a Vauxhall Corsa 1.6T VXR, perhaps this would be more suited and might last me longer...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Sorry but all I have found out is from what I've read on motoring forums, I consider myself very lucky as when I started looking to buy my wife a new VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL in April 2015, the alternative car was a very slightly used 5 door Audi A1 with that engine - accidentally or otherwise, I might just have missed a stray bullet by opting for the brand new factory order VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL 5 door 6MT, I'll never know - in reality although my wife would have preferred the Audi A1 1.4TFSI, as it would be our second car, and my car is an Audi S4, I preferred the idea of having at least one car that we could use to transport rubbish to the tip without stripped lots of value off it if its interior got marked!

The idea of owning a small VW Group car with that 1.4TSI twin charger is exciting, but it could very easily end up being very heart breaking!

You could be lucky though, do you feel like being lucky?

Jan 12, 2019
Sorry but all I have found out is from what I've read on motoring forums, I consider myself very lucky as when I started looking to buy my wife a new VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL in April 2015, the alternative car was a very slightly used 5 door Audi A1 with that engine - accidentally or otherwise, I might just have missed a stray bullet by opting for the brand new factory order VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL 5 door 6MT, I'll never know - in reality although my wife would have preferred the Audi A1 1.4TFSI, as it would be our second car, and my car is an Audi S4, I preferred the idea of having at least one car that we could use to transport rubbish to the tip without stripped lots of value off it if its interior got marked!

The idea of owning a small VW Group car with that 1.4TSI twin charger is exciting, but it could very easily end up being very heart breaking!

You could be lucky though, do you feel like being lucky?

I think after what you've mentioned and through a bit of research I shall stay away from the 1.4L engine as it seems to have a lot of issues and isn't made well. I don't fancy chancing my luck... perhaps you were also lucky in the end by opting for the Polo! I would go for the newer 1.8L however it's too much for my age group on insurance sadly. I've been looking at a 2015 Vauxhall Corsa 1.6T VXR, seems to be more reliable, and in my opinion looks lovely however I don't like the stigma around the cars... I'm in a tough position as to what car to go for...

Other options such as the Ford Fiesta ST and Renault Clio I just don't like visually!

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi, what about a later 1.4 TSi ACT, it's only turbocharged and a different entity to the earlier twincharged engine. It's a peach of an engine, go try one!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Yeah that would be one positive about it I suppose haha! What sort of mileage do you think problems would start occurring with it, or can they just start at any time really with the engine and gearbox they put in those models?

It's not surprising that VW decided to drop it for the 1.8L! It's a shame really as the insurance on the 1.8L is vastly more expensive because of my age compared with the 1.4L even though the performance is similar to a degree. I've been looking around at other cars on the market, I've recently seen a Vauxhall Corsa 1.6T VXR, perhaps this would be more suited and might last me longer...
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all for any vehicle you are looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I’m gutted there are so many issues with this engine as have been looking at getting one for my daily driver for a little while now. Not sure I can take the risk, so it’ll probably be a *cough* Fiesta ST *cough* that I end up getting instead..

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.