seat ibiza cupra gti mk2 cluster pinount

Aug 10, 2020
Hi to everyone! im triyng to fit an seat ibiza cupra mk2 cluster into an mk3 golf gti. My golf have the black background cluster and i want to fit the seat ibiza cupra gti mk2 cluster because it has grey background and it's super cool. The problem is that it is not directly compatible so i have to change a few pin from the connector.
Anyway, do any of you have the seat ibiza cupra gti mk2 cluster pinout please? i'll attach a picture of the cluster for you to see.

seat-ibiza-cupra-12.JPG

Thank you!!

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
I am surprised to hear that the pin-outs are different between the mk3 Golf and mk2 Ibiza. The only compatibility issues I have seen with swapping Ibiza GTi gauges into anything (a lesser spec Ibiza, admittedly) are around the 16v GTi's two oil pressure sensors, and (I think) brake fluid level sensor. What symptoms are you seeing when you plug the Ibiza cluster into your Golf?

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
@Jeremy
I know this question was posted a while back, but I have been investigating the pin-outs on my Ibiza GTi instrument cluster recently, and I now have 26 of the 28 connections identified. In researching this, I also found that you are right that the Golf with similar gauges uses a different pin-out configuration. If you are still after the Ibiza pin-outs post again on here and I will put it up.

Jan 17, 2024
@bete noir I plugged a seat ibiza 2.0 cupra abf cluster with mfa ( silver cluster which writes until 240kmh) in my seat ibiza 1.4 8v with no mfa ( the classic black cluster which writes until 200 kmh) and when I drove around the handbrake light was an all the time and the oil pressure light was constantly flashing and the buzzer was sounding loud . How can I fix it and make it compatible?

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
@thanos6k What you are seeing is the normal issues with swapping Ibiza GTi gauges into a lesser spec Ibiza that I alluded to in post #2 above.

The ABF engine has two oil pressure switches, whereas your 1.4 8v will have only one. The two switches are connected to separate pins on the instrument cluster, and switch to earth in the normal operating pressure range, so with only one oil pressure switch, one of the inputs is left floating, hence the warning light and buzzer. To resolve it you need to connect pin T28/8 on the instrument cluster to earth. If there is a wire connected to that pin in your loom it should be yellow.

The brake warning light problem is (if I remember correctly) because in the GTi that input pin is used for both handbrake and brake fluid level warnings, whereas the lower spec Ibizas have no brake fluid level switch. I must have some more info about this but I will have to check my notes.

Jan 17, 2024
@thanos6k What you are seeing is the normal issues with swapping Ibiza GTi gauges into a lesser spec Ibiza that I alluded to in post #2 above.

The ABF engine has two oil pressure switches, whereas your 1.4 8v will have only one. The two switches are connected to separate pins on the instrument cluster, and switch to earth in the normal operating pressure range, so with only one oil pressure switch, one of the inputs is left floating, hence the warning light and buzzer. To resolve it you need to connect pin T28/8 on the instrument cluster to earth. If there is a wire connected to that pin in your loom it should be yellow.

The brake warning light problem is (if I remember correctly) because in the GTi that input pin is used for both handbrake and brake fluid level warnings, whereas the lower spec Ibizas have no brake fluid level switch. I must have some more info about this but I will have to check my notes.
If you can find info about the handbrake it would help , but I am confused this yellow wire is it in the white plug that connects into the cluster ? And how do I ground it ? also do I need to ground the yellow wire or the metallic pin in the cluster ?

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
The yellow wire that connects to pin 8 in the instrument cluster should be cut and the cluster side of this wire needs to be connected to earth. The instrument cluster earth is the brown wire on pin 3 of the instrument 28-way connector.

I checked my notes, the wiring diagrams in the workshop manual, consulted with my expert Welly, and read a few old threads on here (did you try that?), and I can find no definitive explanation as to why fitting the GTi gauges causes the brake warning lamp to illuminate. Both the handbrake switch and the brake fluid level switch are connected via a single wire from the fusebox to the gauge cluster, and this is the same in the GTi and lower spec Ibizas. The common theme from people who have encountered this problem previously (and who have found a solution) appears to be that either the handbrake switch of the brake fluid level switch have been faulty. I am guessing that the brake warning lamp circuitry in the GTi gauges is more sensitive than in the lower spec Ibizas, and this causes the lamp to illuminate. I suggest you disconnect the handbrake switch and the brake fluid level switch individually and see if either of them are the source of the problem.

Jan 17, 2024
The yellow wire that connects to pin 8 in the instrument cluster should be cut and the cluster side of this wire needs to be connected to earth. The instrument cluster earth is the brown wire on pin 3 of the instrument 28-way connector.

I checked my notes, the wiring diagrams in the workshop manual, consulted with my expert Welly, and read a few old threads on here (did you try that?), and I can find no definitive explanation as to why fitting the GTi gauges causes the brake warning lamp to illuminate. Both the handbrake switch and the brake fluid level switch are connected via a single wire from the fusebox to the gauge cluster, and this is the same in the GTi and lower spec Ibizas. The common theme from people who have encountered this problem previously (and who have found a solution) appears to be that either the handbrake switch of the brake fluid level switch have been faulty. I am guessing that the brake warning lamp circuitry in the GTi gauges is more sensitive than in the lower spec Ibizas, and this causes the lamp to illuminate. I suggest you disconnect the handbrake switch and the brake fluid level switch individually and see if either of them are the source of the problem.
OK I will see about the handbrake issue so for the oil pressure I should cut the Yellow wire and where is cut from the side of the cluster I just connect it to the chasis of the car ?

Jan 17, 2024
OK I will see about the handbrake issue so for the oil pressure I should cut the Yellow wire and where is cut from the side of the cluster I just connect it to the chasis of the car ?
@bete noir .So I need to cut this yellow cable first. Then the part that is attached to the white plug should I connect it to the chasis of the car ?? Or to a ground wire? Also will this affect any other component in the car or cause any damage ?

Attachments

• 20240128_160346.jpg
    20240128_160346.jpg
    664.2 KB · Views: 30

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
I have given you a pretty comprehensive answer to your question. If you are still unsure what to do, maybe you should consider getting some help from someone who has some idea what they are doing around car electrics.

Jan 17, 2024
@bete noir
Every car electrician I visited didn't know how to do it even after I explained them they were afraid to mess with the wiring . So another solution is, that I buy another different cluster the one from a 1.4 16v ibiza it is the one that reads 220 kmh (white background) to be exact .
After i plug it in will it work normally without doing anything? on my 1.4 8v ibiza or it also needs changes ???

Mar 31, 2024

Hi guys!

I had the problem with the handbrake warning light that always stayed on. (my car is Golf mk3 and I bought a cluster from the Ibiza Cupra)

The solution was to add ground to pin 14 (it was empty). But I have another problem. The coolant warning light flashes when I start driving. Sometimes he doesn't blink but most of the time he does. That doesn't happen with any VW instrument panel. I have also checked everything. So it's not a car problem. It's a cluster. That's why I'm looking for pin-outs of the Ibiza's cluster so I can compare them with the Golf's. I think maybe I need to add another cable...

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
@dimitri_mk3 Sorry this has taken a while. The table below is not definitive, I have put it together from my Ibizas plus ElsaWin and a Golf cluster, but I am pretty sure about everything where the 'function' is shown in black and white. It does not provide an obvious answer to your coolant light problem, however, as the Ibiza cluster does not have a separate input for the coolant warning light, it is driven from T28/23 which is the input to the coolant temp gauge, and this appears to be the same (and the same pin) on the Golf. Is the coolant temp gauge reading OK with the Ibiza cluster in your Golf?
1713034014075.png

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members