Seat Ibiza - Engline light appeared mechanic doesnt know exactly what the problem is

JudeRyan

Hi all, (Was advised to post on this forum)

My car is an ibiza 2004 1.4 petrol
over 100k miles on it.

its due its mot now on sat
The car was in for a service 2 months ago and when i got it back from them the engine light was on - i took it back to them and they looked at it told me they had it fixed - i had to return again the same day as it appeared again.

Obviously they put that diagnostic machine in - read what errors/problems it told them there was and then pressed the button which put the light out. problem is it didnt fix my problem

i took it to another mechanic not the seat dealer - he did the same - doesnt know what the problem is said he was going to post it on the forum on the internet to see if they could tell him what was wrong with it - as he says he has not had many dealings with a petrol ibiza

Anyway all i know is that they were both fiddling with some connection at the front of the bonnet - cannot recall the acronym they used (EC something or other - honestly can't recall)

The second mechanic said the connection was loose and he retightened it and he assumed that was the only problem - but again 20 minutes after i left the light appeared again.

I am afraid the car wont pass the MOT because of this light and i dont want to have to go back twice - as the car needs taxed as well! and i have been waiting for a month for this mot date.
Can anybody help?
Has anybody come across this problem before?
There is nothing wrong with the car as far as i am aware - the light being on has not affected the driving of it -

any help on this would be great! Urgent need of assistance and valuable advice

Thanks

JudeRyan

get what plugged in the connection??

its fine - i had the other mechanic look at it - he says there isnt a problem with it.

the guys on the hexus forum - suggested that it could be a number of faults from the mass air flow senor to the exhaust gas recirculating.

when i took it back to the dealer (the 3rd time in one day - twice for this problem) the mechanic there did mention something about the car taking in to much air to petrol. I think he said something about it running at 9:1 when it should be 5:1 - and as a result i would find that the car would be heavier on the petrol. (obviously i dont really understand what this means) For some reason i am thinking that he said as a result it would blow out more fumes.

But to tell you the truth i haven't noticed any difference - the car is running fine as far as i am aware. I dont think it is any heavier on pertrol than before

I remember asking him would it have any type of negative impact or damage on the car! and he said no! So i decided not to go back to them - as every time i take it in - something isnt fixed properly
and took it to another mechanic (not a seat dealer)

I refuse to go back near this dealer as he has never solved any of the recurring problems i have had with my car! - i give him money and the same fault re-occurs again and again!

even the rear washer - keeps breaking (i would understand if i opened and slammed my boot - but i dont go near it and 2 weeks after its serviced and i am charged for the fixing - it comes loose again and doesnt work!
ripp off merchant that dealer!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
if i was you talke it to a different dealer. or find some on with VAGcom to plug into the obd socket behind the little storage compartment on the drivers side

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Take it to another dealer. The engine light could mean a number of things, but it will record a fault. Then the dealer should perform a number of fixes to cure the fault..if one doesn't work they will try another. But it is their job to fix the problems. If it is MAF sensor or Lambda probe or something like that then it could fail MOT on emissions.

JudeRyan

yes - i have done that the new mechanic i have gone to - has done a diagnostic check on the car!

he checked the faults - it read what the problem was he fiddled with the area it was telling him it was related to and he cleared the fault field

10 minutes away from teh garage and it lights up again!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
some thing is clearly not right, it sounds like he's getting the wrong end of the stick or is reading the results wrong

Skisbp

Not necessarily your problem, yet I have a 2004 1.4 100hp model 5spd with 85k Kilometers & have had the (brake sensor) replaced 3 times. Makes your engine light come on along with another light forgetting exactly which one at the moment. If not for being the tail-end of a blizzard:cloud9: here I'd run out to the car & get you the Part# with full description... Think that having your floor mat slide up under the pedal sort of jams it :drive1:momentarily which then shorts out this sensor. Ahh that's the reason I thought it might be applicable for you... It shows up as a mysterious code that baffles most inexperienced :confused: VAG mechanics. As well as can even come & go when you restart the car!!!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
for the year and model the 2 most liekly light on causes i can think of as regular are the throttle pedal potentiometer but you usually suffer a loss in power feeling and the lamda sensor mainly corrosion in its connector - eithyer way a bit of cleaning out and resetting usually cured it for a while

personally i would get it run on a diagnostic check to see what faults the ecu is flagging the light for then use the info to narrow it down to a fault

JudeRyan

hi all
yeah i had that problem with the throttle pedal last year - got it fixed but only after 6 trips to three different mechanics

right i went back to the mechanic who is not the seat dealer - he has written down the faults for me (there are two now - one appeared yesterday that wasnt there before)

He said i need to tell you the engine type which is BBY
The problem is with the EGR valve position (when i brought the car to him he reconnected this. he has said they were badly connected and he cleaned it up and the fault cleared.

the faults that are appearing are the following:

16786 P0402 excessive flow detected
(the new fault) 16555 fuel trim bank 1 too lean

he has said that he would remove and clean out the EGR valvee and reset the adaptions but if this doesnt work what????

can anyone help?? mot is tomorrow:cry:

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
16786/P0402 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR): Excessive Flow

Possible Symptoms
Drivebility problems (check dtc's with Knock Sensor)
Irregular behaviour

Possible Causes
EGR valve stuck open
EGR damaged
Circuit DPF EGR sensor (differential pressure) disconnected, short to B+ or Ground
Slow responding DPF EGR sensor
DPF EGR sensor downstream hose off or plugded
DPF EGR sensor damaged, wrong attached
Control Module damaged

Possible Solutions
Check all wiring and connections to and from EGR and DPF-EGR
Check the EGR: use a vacuumpump and pull open the EGR: rpm should change
Clean the EGR
Check / Replace EGR
Check / Replace DPF-EGR
Check voltage DPF EGR sensor (when idle and when EGR is open)

Special Notes
The EGR system is monitored when driving at steady state and the EGR is commanded on. When the DPF-EGR sensor indicates that EGR flow is less then a desired minimum a dtc is set.
N.B. mechanics with less knowledge do exchange the EGR often, but 75% sure the problem will be back (probably the DPF-EGR sensor causes the problem).

16555/P0171/000369 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1: System Too Lean

Possible Causes
Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) defective

Possible Solutions
Check Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
Check Fuel Pressure Regulation
Check Fuel Pump
Check Injectors
Check Intake System for Leaks
Check Exhaust System for Leaks
Check Secondary Air System for Leaks
Check Vacuum Pipes for Leaks

mdixson

did any of this help fix the problem as my car is going in tomorrow again for the same reason "16786/P0402 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR): Excessive Flow"

S3ROB

I am afraid the car wont pass the MOT because of this light and i dont want to have to go back twice

It is not an MOT failure if the engine management light is on although as already said if the fault is emission related then it could fail the emissions test, i tested and Audi A3 yesterday with the engine management light on, engine sounded very rough but still passed emission test, car failed on having wheel nuts missing :rolleyes:

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
this may be the same problem im having with my 1.2 12v, the only problem is mine is more obviously a very rough idle which intermittently comes on and off...

i will trace the lambda probe connection an see if it has corroded or something...let us know how u get on....will definately help someone in the future ! :D

drewbar

If your having constant trouble with you dealership mate, get on the phone to customer services and kick up a major fuss, if this problem isnt being solved and your paying time and time again for the same thing then you have a very good case for them to pull their finger out, even more so if you brought the car from that dealership. Normally once customer services get involved the dealership will suddenly buck up their ideas and get you sorted. (hopefully lol)

JudeRyan

it passed the mot test with the light on it - never got it sorted before the test date, as couldnt get a mechanic anywhere to sort it for me....in fact light still on, due for its next service now so going to ask them to look at it then, have already been told by 2 non seat mechanics that the connection may just simply need cleaned...couldnt get them to look at it at the time because they were busy...

drewbar yes, constant trouble with the dealership i have gone to for servicing the vehicle...i.e.: i have paid for rear window wiper to be fixed 5/6 times and days later it doesnt work again, but i get charged for it, the ECG valve is another problem i've had that they've never fixed...
the alternator died a couple of weeks ago i rang to check the cost to replace it they quoted £300, i got a new one put in by a non seat dealer for £130 less than half price...
i even wonder why i keep returning to a seat dealer to service it...
bought the car in a different dealership over the border...

oh hey question i'd need a new timing belt at 115k miles wouldnt i?

drewbar

It sounds like you've spent a fair wedge in the dealerships, i'd definately complain to customer services, whats the worst that can happen, if you dont your the one thats going to loose out at the end of the day.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise