Seat leon FR 170bhp CR TDI Tuning Twin channel Box

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Why would you pay £350 for something that nobody seems to have any feedback on and that most are warning you away from? Especially when there are plenty of big companies out there with loads of happy customers and loads of people on here alone that can vouch for them?

I know if it were me I'd take the tried and trusted route, I value my car far too much to take a punt on some tuning box with claims far beyond what it can realistically deliver.

If it was £150 then I could understand an argument for it as it's a lot cheaper than a remap but at £350 there just isn't enough between the two cost wise for it to even be a considered option imo.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Seems the OP is getting some stick when to my reckoning he doesn't seem to understand how a tuning box works. There is a lot across SCN about tuning boxes and to be totally honest I was tempted to look at these newer twin channel boxes and use the 14 day money back option to test one out of curiosity. I never got around to it and since I've ordered a Golf R I won't!

A couple of benefits to tuning boxes were the circa £65 fee for a new map and wiring loom to move it to a different car once the Leon gets sold, easily removed for warranty purposes, no record of the ECU being flashed and no need to open the ECU to enable an OBDII remap. I also don't believe that they cause smoke on the CR diesels. They will give a notable performance increase and they will work to that end, but I am not sure I am comfortable with the method by which it achieves any result.

My concerns on the downsides are that all a tuning box does is lie. It reports false information to the ECU and causes it in turn to throw in more fuel and boost pressure to increase the power, but only on 2 sensor readings (fuel and boost pressure - just fuel on the older single channel devices). Done in this way, I am not sure of the long term impact to this on the engine internals and other components as it seems to simply cause the car's ECU to request more fuel and boost (although matched to one another but not to any other aspect of the running of the engine) as a reaction to the lie, rather than part of the fully sync'd, monitored and adjusted configuration of a remap. On a diesel, how many other settings are there to change that a "proper" remap addresses ? I don't know all of them, but at least these are all addressed in sync since it also reads temperatures, revs, accelerator position (?), injector duty cycles and other items alongside that I can't recall, that all lead to an optimised map of all these components to one another and as a whole.

Last comment - I have never seen DTUK or any other firm selling these boxes defend their products on SCN (or any forum) when they are being bashed on threads such as this, but I have never read of a member having a mechanical issue because of having fitted a tuning box rather than a remap either. To me, that says something whichever way you jump, but just do it with an awareness of the differences and the sacrifice on optimisation vs a remap.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I fitted one to my cousins mondeo tdci (common rail) and it spiked the ecu which caused it to instantly rev at full chat until I disconnected every plug I could and cut the fuel supply. Luckily enough there was no major damage but that was the end of my relationship with tuning boxes.

That was single channel and sold by a company called diesel max and cost me £275 trade.

What a pile of crap.

FlameRevenge

Oct 14, 2011
Crewe Cheshire
www.youtube.com
Seems the OP is getting some stick when to my reckoning he doesn't seem to understand how a tuning box works. There is a lot across SCN about tuning boxes and to be totally honest I was tempted to look at these newer twin channel boxes and use the 14 day money back option to test one out of curiosity. I never got around to it and since I've ordered a Golf R I won't!

A couple of benefits to tuning boxes were the circa £65 fee for a new map and wiring loom to move it to a different car once the Leon gets sold, easily removed for warranty purposes, no record of the ECU being flashed and no need to open the ECU to enable an OBDII remap. I also don't believe that they cause smoke on the CR diesels. They will give a notable performance increase and they will work to that end, but I am not sure I am comfortable with the method by which it achieves any result.

My concerns on the downsides are that all a tuning box does is lie. It reports false information to the ECU and causes it in turn to throw in more fuel and boost pressure to increase the power, but only on 2 sensor readings (fuel and boost pressure - just fuel on the older single channel devices). Done in this way, I am not sure of the long term impact to this on the engine internals and other components as it seems to simply cause the car's ECU to request more fuel and boost (although matched to one another but not to any other aspect of the running of the engine) as a reaction to the lie, rather than part of the fully sync'd, monitored and adjusted configuration of a remap. On a diesel, how many other settings are there to change that a "proper" remap addresses ? I don't know all of them, but at least these are all addressed in sync since it also reads temperatures, revs, accelerator position (?), injector duty cycles and other items alongside that I can't recall, that all lead to an optimised map of all these components to one another and as a whole.

Last comment - I have never seen DTUK or any other firm selling these boxes defend their products on SCN (or any forum) when they are being bashed on threads such as this, but I have never read of a member having a mechanical issue because of having fitted a tuning box rather than a remap either. To me, that says something whichever way you jump, but just do it with an awareness of the differences and the sacrifice on optimisation vs a remap.

Thank you, seems to me that everyone on this forum is all bent on remapping, I know it's been out longer than running box therefore means it's more reliable, just like you have Nokia and apple, Nokia was first into the mobile phone business (Nokia 3300) then apple joined in later with another phone (iphone 3), many people would have said the same thing and still do that Nokia is better no really true, non of them is better the are just phones now and people can choose which one the want. So back to running box I have always wanted a remap but having to drive there and then having my Engine remapped then having to take it back or tow it back if something went wrong, I would rather just plug it in, and take it out if something wasn't working properly it's quicker and ok the plus side it's easier to sell to another person when am done with it or I can just get my money back. Don't get my wrong if remaps would just remap it and then take it back to original when I want to sell my car, then remap my new car for no cost or something like £30 then yes I would remap, but no I will have to pay full price fr another car to be remapped. But tuning box from TDI Tuning can be transferred to another car and reprogrammed for a small fee and also the can change it to fix your new car also for a small fee with out having to buy a new one you get my drift?

I have just ordered the Twin channel Tuning box from TDI tuning, should be here by tomorrow so maybe I'll tell you guys how to goes with fuel consumption, by driving it to Manchester and a constant speed of 55mph with out the box and driving back at 55mph with the box to see if it makes any different with mph and also I'll try and out 0-60mph test to see how it compares.

Oh ya you can search for TDI Tuning on Facebook if you wanna see the cars the have done.

Last edited:

FlameRevenge

Oct 14, 2011
Crewe Cheshire
www.youtube.com
I fitted one to my cousins mondeo tdci (common rail) and it spiked the ecu which caused it to instantly rev at full chat until I disconnected every plug I could and cut the fuel supply. Luckily enough there was no major damage but that was the end of my relationship with tuning boxes.

That was single channel and sold by a company called diesel max and cost me £275 trade.

What a pile of crap.

I understand your point of view, sorry to hear that, most of the tuning companies out there all claim that theirs is better, but it is hard to find out which company seems genuine, I have checked this company TDI tuning the seem ok, I have just ordered mine for my car and it would be programmed for my car using my reg number for my car, so hopefully it would be ok I hope I guess I'll find out when I try it out, if it's not ok I'll get my money back lol, if the refused I'll get it back from back using my direct debit guarantee which pretty much means I can get any money back within 1 month I think that I think was no authorised by me lol

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Thank you, seems to me that everyone on this forum is all bent on remapping, I know it's been out longer than running box therefore means it's more reliable, just like you have Nokia and apple, Nokia was first into the mobile phone business (Nokia 3300) then apple joined in later with another phone (iphone 3), many people would have said the same thing and still do that Nokia is better no really true, non of them is better the are just phones now and people can choose which one the want. So back to running box I have always wanted a remap but having to drive there and then having my Engine remapped then having to take it back or tow it back if something went wrong, I would rather just plug it in, and take it out if something wasn't working properly it's quicker and ok the plus side it's easier to sell to another person when am done with it or I can just get my money back. Don't get my wrong if remaps would just remap it and then take it back to original when I want to sell my car, then remap my new car for no cost or something like £30 then yes I would remap, but no I will have to pay full price fr another car to be remapped. But tuning box from TDI Tuning can be transferred to another car and reprogrammed for a small fee and also the can change it to fix your new car also for a small fee with out having to buy a new one you get my drift?

I have just ordered the Twin channel Tuning box from TDI tuning, should be here by tomorrow so maybe I'll tell you guys how to goes with fuel consumption, by driving it to Manchester and a constant speed of 55mph with out the box and driving back at 55mph with the box to see if it makes any different with mph and also I'll try and out 0-60mph test to see how it compares.

Oh ya you can search for TDI Tubing on Facebook if you wanna see the cars the have done.

u are comparing nokia to apple, that is like comparing APR to Revo.

A better comparison would be comparing mobile phones to a hairy toe.

Totally different, as are remaps and tuning boxes.

FlameRevenge

Oct 14, 2011
Crewe Cheshire
www.youtube.com
Basically, what he is saying is that he would like the tuning box so he can not bother claiming on his insurance, the snidey f**cker!

What I basically mean is that there is no point adding it to my insurance unless it works and what it claims is actually true then only then will I add it to my insurance. So if I crash I can be able to claim, am not that sly to leave it out if my insurance besides it won't make that much difference to it maybe £20 or so lol

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
What I basically mean is that there is no point adding it to my insurance unless it works and what it claims is actually true then only then will I add it to my insurance. So if I crash I can be able to claim, am not that sly to leave it out if my insurance besides it won't make that much difference to it maybe £20 or so lol

wtf are u even on about????

you've gone from comparing remaps and tuning boxes to phones and then now you're blabbing on about insurance?

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

FlameRevenge

Oct 14, 2011
Crewe Cheshire
www.youtube.com
u are comparing nokia to apple, that is like comparing APR to Revo.

A better comparison would be comparing mobile phones to a hairy toe.

Totally different, as are remaps and tuning boxes.

Lol ok so that's bad comparison, but am just trying to say people have different opinions, am just gonna try tuning box first if it didn't work I'll get money back and then remap my car.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Thank you, seems to me that everyone on this forum is all bent on remapping

.....only because a remap is the better route in the main and to gain max performance as safely as possible, but you've made a decision that sacrifices some of that for convenience etc which I think is a fair decision given the need (just don't do it to save telling your insurance - if you are in an accident and unable to remove it, and the other people involved are badly injured, how are you going to cover the claims against you for their injuries when it is spotted and your insurance made void ?)

I don't think anyone on here really remaps for fuel economy to need a 55mph test being done. Drive it normally, tell us what it goes/feels like etc compared to your "normal" experience, and mention any fuel difference. However which way you test it, report back though as I am sure there of plenty of people on here wanting to see how it works out, even if they are afraid of being flamed for saying they are buying one!!!!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.