Seat paint work defect

Apr 20, 2023
Hi all

Need some much needed help
Brought a 21plate 1.5L Leon FR last year, not had a year yet after purchase. Was in an approved body repair shop for something else, as the garage went to clean the car to polish and colour blend. 100% not caused by stone chippings as theyre so quick to use...

A strip of paint has came off the front bumper, seat dragging heals and warranty manager says its because a previous paint repairs has been done and not applied correctly and its not covered under this warranty.

The car has effectively came from manufacturer to the original dealership I purchased it from last year and then me. Dealership advised they didn't carry any paint repair work. Any advice or other cases of this happening?

On top of this a crack in my headlamp has appeared randomly with no external force. Seat said they're aware other brands VW, Audi have info released about this but not seat.

Attachments

• 20230412_091242.jpg
    20230412_091242.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 20230412_091258.jpg
    20230412_091258.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Surely its the garage that it was in to repair the other defects fault. They hit it too hard with a pressure washer or what?

Apr 20, 2023
Surely its the garage that it was in to repair the other defects fault. They hit it too hard with a pressure washer or what?
They told me I would need to claim it through seat, seat said speak to repair garage

Bouncing back and forth between seat and them with no one wanting to take ownership

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
To me that looks too uniform to be a paint defect. That looks like the people doing the repair have used tape or something to mask off an area and as they've pulled the tape away they've lifted the paint with it.

I would definitely be pursuing the garage it was in for the damage, it would be up to them to prove it wasn't them, not the other way around.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
To me that looks too uniform to be a paint defect. That looks like the people doing the repair have used tape or something to mask off an area and as they've pulled the tape away they've lifted the paint with it.

I would definitely be pursuing the garage it was in for the damage, it would be up to them to prove it wasn't them, not the other way around.

Agree - it does look like the paint has been lifted when a piece of tape has been removed.

Irrespective of whether or not that area of the bumper was repainted before, if the paintwork on the bumper was free of damage when it when into the garage for other work and it had missing paint when it left the garage, then IMHO it can only have been them that caused it. They should be putting it right at their expense.

Apr 20, 2023

Thanks for this! Much appreciated at the moment no one wants to take ownership to resolve it. The approved repair shop have said they've had another seat car come in with a similar problem but at this point not sure who to believe.

The repair was for a new door passenger side and said they were cleaning the car to polish and colour blend in I believe. and next thing i hear is the driver side of the bumper has this strip missing!

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Thanks for this! Much appreciated at the moment no one wants to take ownership to resolve it. The approved repair shop have said they've had another seat car come in with a similar problem but at this point not sure who to believe.

The repair was for a new door passenger side and said they were cleaning the car to polish and colour blend in I believe. and next thing i hear is the driver side of the bumper has this strip missing!

I would be asking the repair shop for a photo of the other Seat too, if they are any sort of reputable company they will have 360° photos of every vehicle before and after repair. This is standard procedure, to avoid disputes such as this.

The important thing to note is they are confirming that the paint was intact when it arrived and when it has left it is now damaged, it is very much their job to prove they are not responsible.

I would speak to your insurance company, stating what has happened and I'm certain they will pursue the garages insurance company pretty quickly.

Apr 20, 2023
Its an approved seat/group repair shop. They took photos of my vehicle before I dropped it off so there will be proof of images, which il request

It's financed as well so worst comes I can raise a Service quality dispute as well over it.

Just needs one party to take ownership of repair costs...

Any thoughts on the headlamp. It's internal that crack and no outer cracking so seems its never fitted right either

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.