Seat Toledo 1m Idles high right after I press the gas pedal

Jul 13, 2022
Hello everyone,

I have a Seat Toledo 1m. Not too long ago while I was driving all of a sudden the car started to stall and die if I did not give it gas when I activated anything electrical more specifically headlights or AC.

Car Specs:
Engine: AKL,
Displacement, 1.6 SR,
HP: 100.
Km: 300.000

I took it to a mechanic he said he fixed it and when I took it back he said it had a vacuum leak and also the throttle body was dirty and it needs to relearn its values. As I started the car I could hear a grinding sound when starting the engine, I figured that it was because of the high rpms. Managed to fix the starter issue. Also tried made a TB adjustment and still not difference (went to another mechanic I do not own a VAG-COM).

But now I have another issue. Now it idles high. Tried to find if there are other vacuum leaks but found none. Tested the MAF sensor, nothing changed. Checked the brake booster still nothing. Tried resetting the ECU but disconnecting the battery and managed to get it to idle correctly only when the engine is started.

Now here's when it goes wrong: I start the engine, it idles high for a second or two (with some extra excursions) and then I idles as it should (700 - 900 rpm). Once I press the gas pedal even slightly it no longer idles correctly at no point of the drive (1000+ rpm). While driving there are times where, whenever I press the clutch the engine chokes and jerks. There are other moments when I am at a stop and the car revs on its own up to 2000 rpms some times.

Out of curiosity I tried going to first gear without pressing the gas pedal and the result was, it went to the correct rpms and also noticed that the gas pedal was pressed on its own slightly. Now I should also mention that the car also has cruise control (which it works apparently).

I would really appreciate your help and input on this. It really bothers me and I need the car to be able to go to work and I worry it will break down when I most need it.

Thank you guys in advance and please let me know if you need any more details.

Last edited:

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Spay small amounts of brake cleaner over the hoses when it's running. If the revs go up it's sucking in ait threw a leak some where. Use the brake cleaner to narrow it down to where it is

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members