Seat Toledo Touring Car

andy97

Hi. New here, I'm afraid.

Does anyone know anymore about the history of the Seat Toledo in touring car racing?

There has been a car for sale on several websites and is currently in Ireland at KG Motorsport that is a Toledo which was supposed to have been built by Seat UK & has a good spec - really good cage, seam welded, 230 Bhp dry sumped engine, 6 speed cr dog box, centre lock wheels, bespoke uiprights etc.

A friend if mine has bought it to race in the Classic SportsCar Club "Tin Tops" series (40 minute races for one or two drivers, with a compulsory pit stop) and we are trying to find some more of its history. Not a proper "Touring Car" (ie a Super Tourer) but it seems to be a proper factory built car and to a very decent spec.

I thought it might have been used in Class B of the South African Touring Car series but that has drawn a blank.

Anyone know what it used to race in & know anymore about its history? Its been used most recently in a few Irish Hillclimbs.

Can't post a link to the advert yet I'm afraid.

Thanks

Andy

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
what sort of shape model is it ? have seen a mk1 kicking about in the past but the later shape from memory came out around 2003

there's some archve news on the seatsport website http://www.seatsportuk.co.uk/BTCC/newsarchive.asp

i think there was a privateer team maxtreme running one in btcc albeit with engine haggles

*edit* just googled the website - looks like the mk1 version that had popped up in the past

andy97

Yes, it's a Mk1 version. Not sure of the year this one was built but I know that the Mk 1was around from 1991 to 98.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
pretty sure it's cropped up here before and all i can remember info wise was a couple of pics an a mag article about it (or a similar one)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It would be interesting to see what engine is in the car at the moment... no ITB's, no way it's the 230bhp advertised :(

andy97

Thanks for all the very useful info folks. I'm grateful. It may not be a proper Touring Car (we knew that) but for the money I still think it's a very good club racer & should go well in its intended series.

andy97

Just to update you all, the new owner raced it for the first time at Mallory Park in the CSCC Tin Tops race a few weeks ago. He tested it there the week before. It went OK, despite unsuitable tyres, but its got a damaged gearbox (believed to be quaife).

Last edited by a moderator:

andy97

Just another update on this car; its been sold again, but to another mate of mine. Still got the mashed 'box but the chap that nows owns it is hoping to revive the car, also for CSCC Tin Tops. I should see the car on sunday as the new owner is aso doing some work on my Toyota race car.

If the 'box can't be repaired economically, what are the altenative 'boxes for this sort of car?

a856

I would of thought Hewland Gearboxes would be a good place to start

andy97

Many thanks. The chap that owns it now has parts on order from Quaife; it was one of their 'boxes.