Selling a nearly new car?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I think it's preventable with very fancy suspension setups.

Or with throttle control, like it or not high powered fwd cars need to be driven differently, you can't just bury the pedal and expect it to always grip.

Sent from my G3 using Tuppytalk

kmanmx

Jan 21, 2013
Or with throttle control, like it or not high powered fwd cars need to be driven differently, you can't just bury the pedal and expect it to always grip.

Sent from my G3 using Tuppytalk

Absolutely. I just meant with fancy suspension setups you can bury the throttle and not get wheel hop.

After some reading apparently it's also due to the engine torquing and shifting weight distribution under heavy acceleration, and better engine mounts can help with it. Hmm.

Yes, that's it. Only more. Much much much more.

It probably seems louder in the Leon because a) there is more power going to the wheels and b) I'm sure VW Golfs have better insulation from the road, making it seems quieter, and c) I'm guessing the GTI's arn't R35 tyres on 19" rims, which no doubt makes it even louder

You'll also get it worse in different road conditions.

Last edited:

slo007

Jun 15, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yes, that's it. Only more. Much much much more.

My Golf GT made quite a bang when I floored the engine off the line in wet conditions. It was basically the ABS/traction control trying to stop the wheel slip.

I experience similar banging (though not as loud) with the Leon.

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
So... To draw a line under this.

Gone......

And after a very long day, 707 miles and 4 coffees and a 'bacon' sandwich...

I am now the owner of this.

Evo 9 FQ360. 27k. Fastest colour, apparently...

:D Oh, and it's running Bridgestone RE050s which funnily enough, grip like **** in the rain... Odd that. Anyways. :D

Sorry to have dared to rock the boat. But I honestly think 280bhp is useless in a FWD car on 35 profile tyres. Anyways, I'm happy with my Evo. You'll be happy that I'm not on here whinging about the Leon. The dealer was happy with the deal. My bank was happy because they got some lending business from me.

The only person who was not happy, was the Seat finance call centre operator who was miffed when I told him I hated the Leon...... :lol:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.

Gone......

:D Oh, and it's running Bridgestone RE050s which funnily enough, grip like **** in the rain... Odd that. Anyways. :D

Sorry to have dared to rock the boat. But I honestly think 280bhp is useless in a FWD car on 35 profile tyres. Anyways, I'm happy with my Evo. You'll be happy that I'm not on here whinging about the Leon. The dealer was happy with the deal. My bank was happy because they got some lending business from me.

The only person who was not happy, was the Seat finance call centre operator who was miffed when I told him I hated the Leon...... :lol:

well - hope it's everything you want in a car; happy new year!

drykoke

Oct 31, 2013
Sorry to have dared to rock the boat.

I have some sympathy with RabRS for rocking the boat.

Do I think my 1.8TSI FR is a very competent, capable car? YES!

Do I love my 1.8TSI FR? No.

Make no mistake, the 1.8TSI is a far better car than what I used to have, but I just can't manage the same emotional connection that I had with my previous straight-six elderly Beemer (warts and all).

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014

Gone......

Glad you got it sorted mate.

HNY

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
Used to be called axle tramp when we all drove RWD.

axle tramp...those were the days, Cat.
crap ventilation, crap suspension and handling, rubbish tyres and in-car entertainment.
and crap wipers, safety systems.
Manual windows.
No ABS or traction control.
Drum brakes.
exhausts that barely lasted 12 months.
basically - almost everything was worse.

all in all - things are MUCH better now.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
axle tramp...those were the days, Cat.
crap ventilation, crap suspension and handling, rubbish tyres and in-car entertainment.
and crap wipers, safety systems.
Manual windows.
No ABS or traction control.
Drum brakes.
exhausts that barely lasted 12 months.
basically - almost everything was worse.

all in all - things are MUCH better now.
Fuel prices in pence per gallon beer pence per pint, £300 to insure a V8 , coffee was black or white and cost pennies for a cup, carburettors, Cibie Oscars , Janspeed, oh how I remember those days.....;)

Mar 13, 2011
how much did the leon lose ?
Given that the second you drive a new car off the forecourt it is worth two thirds of the price you shelled out I would imagine it hurt. A lot. Also dealers never absorb any of the pain so no matter how attractive they made the sums look I can't see changing from a brand new 280 to an evo would be financially sane.

Sorry for the OP's predicament but it does drive home the concept of buyers needing to be sure of their decision before parting with 25k of their hard earned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Given that the second you drive a new car off the forecourt it is worth two thirds of the price you shelled out I would imagine it hurt. A lot. Also dealers never absorb any of the pain so no matter how attractive they made the sums look I can't see changing from a brand new 280 to an evo would be financially sane.

Sorry for the OP's predicament but it does drive home the concept of buyers needing to be sure of their decision before parting with 25k of their hard earned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

indeed

the cupra is worth about 17k -18k if your lucky , one of the reason`s when i would never buy a brand new car ever again

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.