Serpentine belt problem

Mech Dad

I wonder if anyone on here can help me please.

My son has just bought a nice 1.4 petrol 53 plate Leon to get him around in his last year at Uni, which he is chuffed to bits with as he saved hard to get this as his first car.

I had a call yesterday from him saying that it sounded like something fell out the engine and then the steering went heavy and the ign light came on. He doesn’t know anything about cars so I got him to RAC it home to me, expecting the worse.

Anyway it looks like a piece of wire had flipped up in the road wrapping around and ripping the aux belt off, he found the belt shredded and the bit of cable.

However having just spent the last 3 hours outside trying to fit the new belt, matched at GSF from the old one I am a beaten man. For the life of me I can’t see how it fits, it is way too long. I do all of my own spanner works and have done since a teenager so it shouldn’t beat me.

I have tried to find a real pic of the set up but can’t find one anywhere. I am also beginning to think something is drastically wrong. The alternator, ps pump and air con are all perfect and where they should be, the tensioner is fine and so is the crank pulley, but I am not sure if there should be an idler gear.

There is no indication that anything has dropped off or broken, so I am stuck.
I have a crank pulley, tensioner pulley, air con, alternator and ps pump pulley, is this it for this model ?

Any help would be so welcome and if anyone has a photo of this just in case I am being really thick this would be great.

Many thanks for any help in advance.
David

Mech Dad

Gents

Just a bit of info on this.

I suddenly thought to check the wifes golf as it is the same age and a 1.6, and guess what it is the same engine.

And for bad luck it looks like the idler wheel mounting has been broken completly off the alternator/powersteering/air con pump mounting bracket. :cry:

I suppose we are lucky this isnt part of the engine casing.

So my next question do you informed people on here know of anyone who might be breaking one or a good place for the golf/seat spares.

many thanks for any help.

D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.