Service History

essexseat

All,

If anyone can help I would be most appreciative.

Basically, I have a Seat Ibiza 1.4 Sport 57 plate. I have had the car for almost 2 1/2 years and I have done circa 11.5k miles.

I have never had a Seat service on the car and I would like to Part Ex it with a dealer, however, would this make a significant impact on the car price?

I have the car booked in for a service (one that a car of 30,000 miles would do) this week, I know this would not complete a Full Service History but I would assume this would compensate for it.

Could anyone help with this.

Thanks in advance.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
All,

If anyone can help I would be most appreciative.

Basically, I have a Seat Ibiza 1.4 Sport 57 plate. I have had the car for almost 2 1/2 years and I have done circa 11.5k miles.

I have never had a Seat service on the car and I would like to Part Ex it with a dealer, however, would this make a significant impact on the car price?

I have the car booked in for a service (one that a car of 30,000 miles would do) this week, I know this would not complete a Full Service History but I would assume this would compensate for it.

Could anyone help with this.

Thanks in advance.

By the book - even with low milage - it should have had an INSPECTION service every 12 months.
Has the OIL been in the car for 2 1/2 years ?

essexseat

It has had at least 3 Oil changes since it has been purchased.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
It has had at least 3 Oil changes since it has been purchased.

All you really need then is a friend in a garage that is VAT registered to stamp your book and give you the receipts for the work.

Under block exemption - you can use ANY vat registered garage for service as long as approved parts are used.

essexseat

My father is a car mechanic who is performing the service so this should not be an issue.

However, by not having a Full Service History, would this have a significant impact on Car Value even with the low mileage?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My father is a car mechanic who is performing the service so this should not be an issue.

However, by not having a Full Service History, would this have a significant impact on Car Value even with the low mileage?

If you can show receipts for everything you fitted to the car - then is HAS service history !!

Main dealers are real clever at trying to convince people that it only has service history if done at the main dealer !!

service history is service history - the only issue you have is if your father is vat registered ?

If not - then i suggest as a mechanic he has a chat with a mate who is VAT registered and gets your book stamped.

And at the end of the day - you know that the dealer will correct the service booklet to show the next person it HAS a service history !!!

essexseat

OK, he is VAT registered so this is good news.

Apologies for the confusion and thanks for your help.

I called seat and they said exactly what you stated above "The car does not have a Full service history if not with Seat".

Well if this was the case, why would independent garages offer to do services?? Joke!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I called seat and they said exactly what you stated above "The car does not have a Full service history if not with Seat".

They are funny when they try to play that game.

Ask them if they as a dealer THINK they are imune from prosecution under the block exemption rulings for europe.

If SEAT have to abide by block exemption rules and honour warranty etc - i am damed sure a poncy little dealer has to abide by them.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
OK, he is VAT registered so this is good news.

Apologies for the confusion and thanks for your help.

Well if this was the case, why would independent garages offer to do services?? Joke!

Funny thing is that when you buy a used car they will claim FULL SERVICE HISTORY regardless if its main delaer or not. Just a way of knocking the price down :(

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
In answer to your original question - you may well find that not having a SEAT history will affect the value of your car - even if you have the book stamped by an independent garage.

I know many people (myself included) who when faced with two seemingly identical cars, one dealer serviced and one not will go for the dealer serviced car every time.

Whether the value you might lose is greater or smaller than the savings you've made from not paying main dealer service rates is what it comes down to really.