Service prices Seat XL 170 TDI DPF

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Hello All,

Can anybody tell me the prices of the next 4 services that I will have to get done to my Altea XL!

Is there anything that I will have to look out for? Also what will Seat try and sell as an extra!

Any info will be great!

Kinjamin

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Service prices will depend on the dealership in question. How much they charge depends on many factors, not least of which is how they feel on the day sometimes. Hourly labour rates affect also, and sometimes they mark up the parts cost.

What they actually do at a certain service also varies, as some don't do certain things and make up their own service schedule to suit the available funds. What should be done is documented in your service manual however.

Extras they'll charge for could be brake fluid change (which I've heard some dealers like to do after 7k miles!!!) which is due every 2 years, and an air conditioning service as and when they feel like it. Both of these are only advisory and shouldn't be done without your authority really so be aware before you give them the go ahead as to what they're actually going to do and what it's going to cost.

Brake discs are usually "lipped and pads wearing" so will need replacement. Check them yourself before they go in and then you'll know if they actually do need replacing. My car went 20k miles with "brakes that needed replacing", and then they were ready to be changed.

Also, they could charge you for screenwash, regardless of whether they actually put any in there for you. A tale I heard was that a customer made sure his screenwash was topped up when it went in, and when challenged they said they siphoned the existing stuff out and replaced it. I seriously doubt that as that's just too much like work.

Providing them with your own oil is a good idea, then they don't charge you their silly prices for Castrol Magnatec (wrong spec aswell) and you know that you're getting the correct oil, that's if they actually use your oil and don't just tell you they did. The empty bottles back in the boot are usually a good indicator. ;)

Be wary, and ask for a fixed price and breakdown of parts before you book it in. Some (and I stress some) dealers are awful, while others are much better. You could always consider doing it yourself, but then warranty issues may arise as it's not been documented service. Independents are also worth considering as long as they use genuine parts.

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Thanks for the information. I took my car to Stoneacre for the 10 K service and they seemed quite good unless I have picked a good dealer! They tried to sell me a service plan! Any ideas if this is okay or not?

Kinjamin;)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Which Stoneacre is that? Not Doncaster area is it? :happy:

As for the service plan, what it costs against what it covers is going to dictate whether it's a good deal or not.

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Which Stoneacre is that? Not Doncaster area is it? :happy:

As for the service plan, what it costs against what it covers is going to dictate whether it's a good deal or not.

Its Peterborough! Just hand some costs from them and here it goes!

20K £143.51
30K £127.41
40K £183.76
50K £127.41
60K £143.51
£368.00 Cam belt
£511.51 (Total costs)

Are these services cost okay? the 60K with a cam belt change is a bit steep?

Kinjamin

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
If that's the cost then it's not too bad I suppose. But like I said it depends what they're actually doing for that price. Someone posted a breakdown of what the service schedule is in another thread. Adding your prices to that gives...

10k - oil change
20k - oil and pollen filter + brake fluid £143.51
30k - oil change £127.41
40k - oil change, pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter and brake fluid change £183.76
50k - oil change £127.41
60k - oil and pollen filter + brake fluid + timing belt and tensioner £143.51 + £368.00
70k - oil change
80k - oil change, pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter and brake fluid change

I suspect your 20k and 40k price doesn't include the brake fluid. I'd also be checking the cambelt interval in your service handbook, as it's 80k miles but the dealers like to shorten it to 60k miles.

Finally, are they selling you a service plan, or are they just selling you the next few services and you're paying up front, or are they just telling you what the cost is? I'd expect a saving for a service plan, or I'd expect to pay on the day for each service.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.