servicing info wanted

danny20vt

going back to basics
Does anyone have any info or links regarding servicing a Leon 1.8t? What with moving house, I'm going to service the car myself to save on costs, I've found a fuel filter change guide and which spark plugs to go for but I really could do with some guides on how to change them with removing the coil packs and changing the oil and filter.
As you can probably work out I've never done the servicing myself and any info will be appreciated.
Also what tools would I need, spark plug gaps and torque settings, thanking you very muchly.

Last edited:

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
you must have a mate who has done this sort of thing before ? if you havent got a clue what to do then dont risk it cus the last thing you would want to do is **** it up and sumthing go wrong.... or just go for a oil & filter change at a local garage or try national tyres i think it only costs about £30 if booked online...

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Its an easy job but with most things can go wrong. Iridium tips plugs for example are very fragile if you drop them into the hole you can risk breaking them and leaving the parts in the combustion chamber. You will need a good selection of tools ie 1/2 and 3/8 ratchets, extensions, joints,sockets, torx sockets, oil filter socket which if you dont have iwill cost the same as getting a garage to sort out.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Its an easy job but with most things can go wrong. Iridium tips plugs for example are very fragile if you drop them into the hole you can risk breaking them and leaving the parts in the combustion chamber. You will need a good selection of tools ie 1/2 and 3/8 ratchets, extensions, joints,sockets, torx sockets, oil filter socket which if you dont have iwill cost the same as getting a garage to sort out.

Haynes manual for 1.8 20v engines, but you can invest in tools, and they pay for them self, or you can just use a garage, never used one to this day lol only for a tyre, its also satisfaction in knowing you saved your self a few quid and you know its done right to your own standard. I wouldent scrimp on a plug socket as cheap ones the rubber comes out and gets aannoying, my plug socket was arround £15 - 20 and is one of best ive used :) Just doing other peoples cars at work/home its paid for its self.

Basically oil change is a 19mm bolt, a bucket, a filter strap/wrench/claw and some brains, if your worried about over filling, best adice is these engines take arround 4.5L, so get 3.5 litres in then start checking on the dipstick, once its to max, just go over a little bit and it will be perfect once its started and filter is full, if you think you will over fill it, get it to max, start it up check for oil light, 10 secondds or so, turn it off and top up.

Spark plugs you want to pop the plug off each coil pack and remove them, try to keep them in order, and good plug socket, long extension and ratchet and undo one at a time, push new plug into the socket, carefully lower it and screw by hand till it meets the head, then 1/2 - 3/4 turn with ratchet just dont over do it or you have problems. Do the same for all 4 cylinders pop the coils back on and hey presto, ideally id do this while it oil is draining. If you have performance air filter, no need to worry. Pollen filter is easy but if not put back correctly the flood gates will open. Also jusst check all levels and basically your done.

danny20vt

going back to basics
Thanks for the info, I think from what's been said, I'll get the oil and filter done at a garage for now, for the cost it'll save me a bit of time and mess and I'll do the plugs myself, I've changed plugs before but never with coils on them, mine are bolted down, the fuel filter was going to be changed as a precautionary measure but the guide I found was pretty well detailed so I may do that myself aswell.
I think at nearly 30 though its about time I learned how to do basic car maintenance, I'm getting there though!

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Hmmm i know mines a 1.6, but i can do oil and filter in like 20 mins max at a cost of £30 using genuine parts and Mobile 1 Super S, (so average oil)

Just depends what you pay at a garage really.

Jimski

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise