Servicing Question

ross p

Back at last....
Jul 13, 2007
Glasgow
www.firstrespondernm.co.uk
Hi guys/girls,

Since i bought my car last year i do not know how long its been since it has had a service.

So now i want to put it in for one.

Unfortunately there isnt any SH with the car.

What kind of things should i have checked?

Thanks Ross

L14M_T

THE JOYS OF A 1200cc
Jan 14, 2009
RCT, South Wales
find any signs where the cars local dealer was i.e reg plates,tax disc holder,windscreen sticker anything like or ring around the local dealers from where you bought the car giving the registration asking if they have a service history or jobcards on the vehicle. If no joy service if yourself better safe than sorry you will know last time it was seviced then! :D

ross p

Back at last....
Jul 13, 2007
Glasgow
find any signs where the cars local dealer was i.e reg plates,tax disc holder,windscreen sticker anything like or ring around the local dealers from where you bought the car giving the registration asking if they have a service history or jobcards on the vehicle. If no joy service if yourself better safe than sorry you will know last time it was seviced then! :D

Yip will do that,

But main question is what to have looked at: fluids, plugs etc?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
A basic service is air filter, engine oil and filter once every 10k miles or 12 months. then the brake fluid should be changed every 2 years regardless of mileage.

Spark plugs can be cleaned and re-gapped for 2 services and then replaced on the 3rd.

Depending on engine type there is a toothed belt or a chain to turn the cam. It is very important that you get the belt or chain serviced before it fails as if it does you can say goodbye to over £1k for a new engine.

I think 60k miles is the sort of time to start thinking about toothed belts/chains.

Other than that the rest of the servicing is with the brake disks/pads and shoes really.

If the car has no service history I would get the engine oil and filter done along with an air filter and brake fluid change. Then I would check the brakes are not worn out, clean/gap the plugs and leave it at that. All this (apart from the toothed belt/chain) can be done yourself for under £100 and a weekend. any help or info on doing this work yourself can be given by the guys and girls on here 24 hrs a day.

Last edited:

ross p

Back at last....
Jul 13, 2007
Glasgow
A basic service is air filter, engine oil and filter once every 10k miles or 12 months. then the brake fluid should be changed every 2 years regardless of mileage.

Spark plugs can be cleaned and re-gapped for 2 services and then replaced on the 3rd.

Depending on engine type there is a toothed belt or a chain to turn the cam. It is very important that you get the belt or chain serviced before it fails as if it does you can say goodbye to over £1k for a new engine.

I think 60k miles is the sort of time to start thinking about toothed belts/chains.

Other than that the rest of the servicing is with the brake disks/pads and shoes really.

If the car has no service history I would get the engine oil and filter done along with an air filter and brake fluid change. Then I would check the brakes are not worn out and leave it at that. All this (apart from the toothed belt/chain) can be done yourself for under £100 and a weekend.

Fantastic cheers:)

Just got the timing belt changed when i got the car, as the water pump went.

But will get everything else done:)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.