Setting electronic handbrake to auto

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Been searching but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Car's just come back from its MOT and they've turned off the auto hand brake setting so it doesn't come on when I turn off the ignition. How do I switch it back on?

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
The AutoHold button does not affect the Electronic Handbrake. They are seperate functions.

The AH operates (when switched on) whenever the car comes to a halt with the engine running & the driver's foot taken off the brake pedal.

The EHB operates when the ignition is switched off.

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
So the AH button doesn't seem to be working anyway (light doesn't come on when I press it).

@Glosphil - EHB still not operating when ignition is switched off. I'm hoping there's a simple way to turn it back on?

andye1

Oct 15, 2005
I never turn mine off. Only found out when it was switched off by the service technician.

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
The MOT guy did this to me as well. The car would not disengage the transmission at a standstill. Just lift UP the AH (hill hold) button behind the handbrake button until it lights up red.

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
16821835671428511564507749025508.jpg
I must be missing something here - I can't pull the AH switch up??

Reactions: Wilto

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Success! I pressed the button while out driving yesterday and it came on, now we're all good with EHB coming on automatically.

So no more scary moments where the car starts to roll away as I get out of it on autopilot 😆

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Success! I pressed the button while out driving yesterday and it came on, now we're all good with EHB coming on automatically.

So no more scary moments where the car starts to roll away as I get out of it on autopilot 😆
Yes, I sort of consider the introduction of electric handbrake and hill assist can leave people taking the view that the handbrake operation is fully automatic, and so can now be ignored, I know that my mate's wife considers that to be the case, ie "parking brake" is fully automatic now, on their T-Roc.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Yes, I sort of consider the introduction of electric handbrake and hill assist can leave people taking the view that the handbrake operation is fully automatic, and so can now be ignored, I know that my mate's wife considers that to be the case, ie "parking brake" is fully automatic now, on their T-Roc.
I still use the electronic handbrake much like an old school handbrake.
Pull up - apply handbrake with the little lever
Then just pull away when ready

I just can't seem to trust that the auto function will always operate.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire

I just can't seem to trust that the auto function will always operate.II have had AH permantly selected for over 4 years & it has never let me down.

I just can't seem to trust that the auto function will always operate.
I have had AH permanently selected for over 4 years & it has never let me down.

It's ideal for carrying a 5-point turn on a friend's very steep drive as AH operates the brakes on all 4 wheels as EHB only operates on the brakes on the rear wheels.

Reactions: seatgraham

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
I have had AH permanently selected for over 4 years & it has never let me down.

It's ideal for carrying a 5-point turn on a friend's very steep drive as AH operates the brakes on all 4 wheels as EHB only operates on the brakes on the rear wheels.
I find that if I take my Cupra in for service everything is back to manual - auto hold is off, lights are not on automatic etc.
Always have to remember to check/change...

Otherwise, works 100% of the time in my experience.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
The AutoHold button does not affect the Electronic Handbrake. They are seperate functions.

The AH operates (when switched on) whenever the car comes to a halt with the engine running & the driver's foot taken off the brake pedal.

The EHB operates when the ignition is switched off.
Yes it does affect the auto handbrake

Without Ah on the handbrake does not automatically engage when you switch the car off.

Its very stupid

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Yes it does affect the auto handbrake

Without Ah on the handbrake does not automatically engage when you switch the car off.

Its very stupid
Yes, I did admit I was wrong in an earlier post. As I have always had both switched on I didn't realise the connection. It's not mentioned in the owner's manual.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.