Setting up coilovers?

Mar 8, 2007
Hi all.

Want some advice about setting up my coilovers.

Now, on the rear both springs are just sat on the bottom plate with no adjusters, so not much I can do there.

On the front, what is the best way to set them up?

When we fitted them, we just did both sides the same number of turns, however I dont think this is the best way as the weight distribution isnt even is it?

Is it better to set them up by measuring from the hub/ bottom of the strut to the adjuster ring or what?

I had a laser alignment done (they adjusted the toe) but ever since fitting coils the car has always pulled left quite badly and if I let go of the steering wheel while driving the steering wheel sits to the left.

I've also noticed that my front and rear N/S tyres are wearing slightly quicker on the outside than the inside.

Any ideas or advice appreciated.

techathy

^^ my name, my thought >>
Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
Best way is to load the car up with something similar to it's typical load & get it on 4 corner scales & change the ride height to get the best weight distribution across all 4 wheels. Though this leads to the technically the best grip it often looks odd when the car is unloaded.

I always find a flat & level surface then go by ride height to the bottom of a fixed point both sides of the car. Wish bone mounting points are my favorite.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
When I done mine I just measured from where the strut goes into the hub to the top of the adjuster ring. That way both sides are the same hight.

techathy

^^ my name, my thought >>
Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
With fixed rate FK or KW, I can't remember which, coilovers weight balancing was very effective on a Seicento & we also moved the battery behind the passenger's seat which helped as well. Though you are talking about a car where a person can easily weigh in at 10% it's total weigh with all fluids fully topped up & where it's a good idea to swap the springs/dampers over every service to keep the suspension in fairly good condition.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise