shocks and springs ? or just springs and other bits ?

cawsey18

Apr 5, 2009
Hi there..

Am looking to handle up my mk1 fr. Now do i go for a complete suspension kit.. ? or do i do decent springs ,underside arb , and powerflexx bushes ? .. There both about same cost wise obviously a little extra work.. But what do i do ?? i can do the springs and shocks at a later date . but what would i get better gains from ?

Your help would be grande

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
How many miles has your standard suspension done?

Personally I'd say go for a full suspension kit and then add the ARBs at a later date. This means you won't have to take your suspension to bits twice as the ARBs can be changed without touching the springs and shocks.

You'll also get a much better handling car with matched springs and shocks instead of lowering springs with standard shocks.

Hope this helps and if I can be any further help just give me a shout.

Damian @ DPM Performance

cawsey18

Apr 5, 2009
thanks for that fella.. Im looking at about 40k on standard i beleve. thats what the car has covered and im guessing its original . What are ap like as a company ? any good have read good reviews about there stuff

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Yeah they're a good coilover kit for the money, brought to you from the same camp as Weitec and KW so pretty much the starter coilover kit from that group buy. Give me a shout if you'd like any prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

cawsey18

Apr 5, 2009
yer go on then mate.. If not i mean for the 400 mark what could i be getting myself ?? if not hows about billistein ?

cawsey18

Apr 5, 2009
basicallys i want ,Stiffer round the bends. But i want it to be nicely damped. And obviosuly its going to be harsher on the straights and a rougher ride but not to bone shattering ?

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
We'll be able to do both the AP's and the Weitec's for under £400 at the moment but for the Bilstein's you'd be looking at alot more and they are a stiffer setup.

Weitec Hicon GT coilovers are £390.39 inc. VAT
AP coilovers are £365.79 inc. VAT

Damian @ DPM Performance

Last edited:

cawsey18

Apr 5, 2009
cheers for that .. Have just noticed you sell spax psx .. Im not really after coilovers although i would have them but all i want to do is adjust the dampening really.. what are spax like ? and are they one of thebetter kits you guys do ?