Short Shift

Mckellar

You can get them for the golf gti (mk3) i know that because my friend has one, and i believe they share the same box.

There was one on ebay not long ago, went for around £60 second hand. iirc ofcourse.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
If you are on a budget, get your hacksaw out (or an angle grinder if your a real man) and chop down the stick by 4cm. Thats what I did in all 3 of my past cars and it did the trick ;)

Mckellar

any side effects Mig?

After doing that, u then replace the gearnob with a golf one ;) performance + styling that costs about £10 all in.

chris27

Jun 30, 2007
If you are on a budget, get your hacksaw out (or an angle grinder if your a real man) and chop down the stick by 4cm. Thats what I did in all 3 of my past cars and it did the trick ;)

Sounds like a plan lol. And as i cant be bothered to go outside because its dark, cold and wet - hows the gear knob attatch? Is it screwed on or does it have little screws to pinch it on??

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown

and chris27
Sounds like a plan lol. And as i cant be bothered to go outside because its dark, cold and wet - hows the gear knob attatch? Is it screwed on or does it have little screws to pinch it on??

hmm, think i might give it a go too actually and if it doesnt work its an excuse to buy a b&m lol.

as above, hows it attach though? can i use the original knob with it cut down :whistle: i like it, it says cupra on it and looks nice .

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I'm affraid you can't use the original knob. Maybe if you used some PVC glue then it might work but I've always had a nice sparco/momo knob to fit and they use grub screws so they fit fine.

No side effects either and as a bonus you can actually use the cig lighter socket while driving, without the gearshift banging into it everytime you go to put it into 3rd gear.

Mckellar

to take the gearknob off, unhook the leather gaitor, and keep on twisting anti-clockwise and after u realise, like me that you've already ran out of thread, just pull it off, dead simple.

I ended up twisting for ages thinking it had been stuck on a thread, oops!

Mckellar

No side effects either and as a bonus you can actually use the cig lighter socket while driving, without the gearshift banging into it everytime you go to put it into 3rd gear.

i can now charge my phone and use my sat nav easier thinking of it that way :clap:

Pedro

can i use the original knob with it cut down :whistle: i like it, it says cupra on it and looks nice .

If you really want to you could try using a die to recut the thread on the cut down stalk - you'd probably want to chamfer the top off first though to help it cut in :)

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Worth noting that the B&M is for 02A cable change g'box on a 2.0 16v

To fit it 'properly' you have to drop the exhuast and heatsheild to drop the shifter box from the tunnel.

their is a way of changing it without doing all the above but its not for the faint hearted:)