Should I be concerned? Door Closure Issue

rich146

Sep 27, 2009
Berkshire
www.reverbnation.com
This is going to sound silly but its been playing on my mind....When I viewed my brand new Leon for the first time yesterday (picking up week Monday), everything looked great on inspection but just one niggling thing I noticed was the drivers side door didnt close in a nice ' solid clunk' as the passenger side. I kept trying both doors to compare and it wasnt my hearing!lol... I feel kind of stupid mentioning it to the dealer. Just worried it could be the beggining of trouble or maybe some adjustment is needed? And why are they different? guess if they were both closing the same as the drivers side i wouldnt think anything of it I guess but the passenger side closed so much nicer in comparison...An annoying niggle which once you spot it you keep noticing it!
Anyone else have this? Should I be concerned or is it just the way it is?
Cheers

ModifyItAll

I have noticed the same thing on my passenger side door. But mines a LHD so it would be my right door that has the weird sound. So i guess its the same door. Never really looked into it too deep. Keep us posted if you find anything though.

rich146

Sep 27, 2009
Berkshire
www.reverbnation.com
Im glad im not the only one now. I thought perhaps im going mad!?haha...Interesting! Ok i'll keep you posted with the latest events. Im kind of thinking that perhaps the passenger side has just worn in and doesnt take many open/closes to losen? And passenger side hasnt been opened hardly at all... How old is your car? At what point did you notice it from its age? Mine has barely moved so I dont expect any losening to be honest! Thanks..

dkaric

Mar 19, 2008
Croatia
This is going to sound silly but its been playing on my mind....When I viewed my brand new Leon for the first time yesterday (picking up week Monday), everything looked great on inspection but just one niggling thing I noticed was the drivers side door didnt close in a nice ' solid clunk' as the passenger side. I kept trying both doors to compare and it wasnt my hearing!lol... I feel kind of stupid mentioning it to the
Cheers

take a duct tape and cut a strip about 4cm long and 1 cm wide, then wrap it around the metal hinge (right where the door mechanism touches it when you close the door - hinge is probably greasy on the contact spot, so wipe it thorougly. )

I have wrapped all four hinges on my ride.

rich146

Sep 27, 2009
Berkshire
www.reverbnation.com
take a duct tape and cut a strip about 4cm long and 1 cm wide, then wrap it around the metal hinge (right where the door mechanism touches it when you close the door - hinge is probably greasy on the contact spot, so wipe it thorougly. )

So am I right in thinking that the problem could be too little resistance allowing the door to close too easily due to excess lubricant? Cheers

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE

How many times can you close the door before your tape is ripped?

Personally I would ask the dealer to adjust the striker plate, a small adjustment of 1 or 2mm can make a big difference on the sound made and also the force needed to close a door.

dkaric

Mar 19, 2008
Croatia
So am I right in thinking that the problem could be too little resistance allowing the door to close too easily due to excess lubricant? Cheers

nope, actually hard material (that is probably rubbery in Audi) in door lock hitting the metal hinge makes the noise. You just need something to get between those two metals.

use heavy duty duct tape, I have it over a month now, no sign of wear.

rich146

Sep 27, 2009
Berkshire
www.reverbnation.com
nope, actually hard material (that is probably rubbery in Audi) in door lock hitting the metal hinge makes the noise. You just need something to get between those two metals.

use heavy duty duct tape, I have it over a month now, no sign of wear.
Interesting....I'll see what my dealer says when I visit on saturday. So I take it, its nothing to be concerned about. Just adjustment. Mind you its its a brand new car so shouldnt have this issue from the start surely?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.