Should i go low or leave it alone?

cupra__mark

hey guys

im after some advice regarding my leon cupra tdi. Im thinking of getting it lowered with a full suspension kit on my current 17's alloys.

I've tried looking for people who have done this but haven't come across any. Basically i've heard that when you lower the leon cupra it tends to have a saggy bum with the front end looking as if its pointing up a bit?

I'd love to see some pics of people who have done this please!

Oh and im thinking of going for a jom kit, any reviews?

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
I have baught a JOM kit. It had some good reviews but I am not going to fit it as I then rang my insurance! They wanted £800 if I fitted it! It is in the for sale section if you are interested.

cupra__mark

I have baught a JOM kit. It had some good reviews but I am not going to fit it as I then rang my insurance! They wanted £800 if I fitted it! It is in the for sale section if you are interested.

thanks for the offer, not sure what im doing at the moment but i will definintly get back to you when i decide :)

Nef

Looking Rather Dappa
Mar 30, 2009
Cambridge
went fairly low on mine and the only thing i keep banging is the splitter and dog bone mount.

Its all good :D

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
lowered mine 50mm... settled quite abit now though...on 17's... as its the pre-facelift it doesnt have side skirt and the bumpers on the facelift models are bigger so they look lower than the pre models....

ride quality aint the best... but it handles good and looks nice too...

JamJay

California Bound
I've tried looking for people who have done this but haven't come across any. Basically i've heard that when you lower the leon cupra it tends to have a saggy bum with the front end looking as if its pointing up a bit?

This is true so there are two ways around it. Buy a spring/shock kit which lowers the car more at the front than the back i.e. 50mm/40mm or coilovers so you have complete freedom to alter it as much as you like. With coilovers, you get what you pay for though and apart from the Weitec kit which has a really good write up, i'd not purchase any without rebound adjustment.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
im in the same as the OP

i want it a tad lower , not scrapping the floor Damien has suggested the weitec kit preset

but my concern is i want it to be similar to oem ride comfort /quality

not boincy stiff and jerky

have been re assured weitecs are matching my descriptions , but want some piccies if possible

JamJay

California Bound
You need to realise that lowering a car will only make the comfort worse, never better. Essentially, the lower you go, the worse it will get as the damper is shortened. Saying this, what a new kit might lose in comfort, will gain in road holding so weigh up the benefits really. Koni claim that their FSDs are just like stock but I have no experience and to be honest, the near £500 price tag for just the dampers alone puts me off. I'd be tempted to try the Weitec kit too Andrew but with no more than a 30mm drop for what you're looking for.

JamJay

California Bound
With a 30mm kit you'll drop 20mm. If I was to fit a 30mm kit (I have LCR), i'd drop 15mm.

See Cupra_mark's original post where he mentions about the back dropping more than the front, to combat this I would recommend to try for a 30mm/25mm kit if one is available :)

Edit: You could build your own...

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/eib...di-19tdi-cupra-19tdi-fr-19tdi-1199-p-119.html

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/bil...i-19tdi-cupra-19tdi-fr-19tdi-1199-p-4191.html

Although I'm not sure how the Bilsteins & Eibachs would work together.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Eibach springs would probably give alot better ride than standard, if you go lower than 30/25 then thats when you encounter problems with ride comfort, below 40 and dampers will porbably bottom out which will you will then need a skeleton made of granite to withstand the pain. 30 - 40 mm spring and damper combo would give a nice ride, but cheaper coilovers will tend to give a harsh ride. It all goes on what products you use.

Aug 26, 2008
West Midlands
My Cupra - Lowered on 50mm Weitecs, they are alot better over standard and not harsh at all.

Before Lowering:
picture.php

After:
picture.php

picture.php

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.