Should I use Tesco momentum fuel all the time?

SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
Seat Leon FR TSI EVO 1.5 petrol

Hi, I read in my handbook that the car should be ran on the highest grade petrol fuel and I’ve noticed recently after topping the tank with Tesco’s momentum fuel 99 octane I’m getting at least 5 more mpg but I’m told by other people that this should only be used once per month as it only cleans the engine and use the lower grade fuel for the majority of refuels which I think is 95 octane for the lower grade also should I use Redex?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
So did it runs smooth for that whole time etc no issues when you had a service?
It was fine.

the car had inherant stuttering issues but this was the engine design not the fuel used.

Running Momentum religiously will not cause any issues. The car will be happier, return slightly more bhp and better mpg.
No brainer, momentum is also cheap too.

Greyibiza09

Mar 2, 2021
I never believe the benefits of expensive petrol for the last 25 years. I won some tickets to a music festival which involves 3 hrs drive so I thought, let's try Shell V-POWER because I saw some advertisement. Wow! My Honda Jazz drove really fast. I put some on the Ibiza and my first pupil, (I m a driving instructor), couldn't believe why the car was going so fast compared to her last lesson.

Unfortunately due to financial reasons, I have gone back to supermarket fuel. But I suggest drivers who are not sure is to try one tankful on a long journey. Definitely feel the difference.

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
The difference you notice will depend on your car. Higher performance cars are recommended to only use 98/99 RON, which I do 99% of the time (occasionally you find yourself somewhere rural where 95 has to do). That being said, I've never really noticed a performance/MPG difference whereas some of the commenters have - which is interesting. In summary: use 99ron/momentum whereever you can, as there's no downside other than additional cost!

Reactions: SeatFRTSI

SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
The difference you notice will depend on your car. Higher performance cars are recommended to only use 98/99 RON, which I do 99% of the time (occasionally you find yourself somewhere rural where 95 has to do). That being said, I've never really noticed a performance/MPG difference whereas some of the commenters have - which is interesting. In summary: use 99ron/momentum whereever you can, as there's no downside other than additional cost!

I’ve definitely have noticed a difference with momentum the throttle response is much quicker and the car runs much smoother I was just apprehensive in case it shouldn’t be used all the time.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I used to run a Civic Type R old Vtec 2.0l K20 and it specs 98RON to be used

when run on 95 RON you could tell it was holding back, wouldn’t rev out as easily

but thats was on a highly strung lift cam n/a motor.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Higher octane fuels will allow a little more boost and ethanol free fuels have a couple of % more energy by volume.

So I would expect these fuels to give you more power and some vehicles require it to get the best from the car it seems.

SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
Higher octane fuels will allow a little more boost and ethanol free fuels have a couple of % more energy by volume.

So I would expect these fuels to give you more power and some vehicles require it to get the best from the car it seems.
I have been using momentum everytime I fill up and using Redex too and I’ve noticed the massive difference in power.
I have it in eco mode and get 7mpg more and it feels like it’s in sport mode compared to the 95 octane fuel I used to use.
I am going to use 99 octane at all times👍🏻🙂

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Many cars are designed to use a particular fuel, but will run on anything.
On the fuel alone you can't get massive differences, the fuel just isn't that different.
The change will be in the engine mapping resulting from the increased fuel energy and volume, allowing more boost and potentially more economy. Engines are clever nowadays.
Engine settings are usually modest, and you can get more economy and power remapping engines without changing fuel for example.
Such things rely on you using quality fuel, but still lower octane and having a well running car.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I stick the odd £10/£15 of Tesco99 in her Fr but I feel more difference in running in sport mode all the time, better feel to the car and better mpg.
My Honda is tuned for 99ron and feels off on cheap stuff.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Well the modes are alteration to the engine map so I'd expect that.

Things like this are anecdotal and while ppl might be certain of thier facts it's not science.

I have an anecdote, I had an xr2 set up with twin Weber's and some other stuff back in the 90s and with the Weber's drinking fuel I tried additives that helped with fuel consumption and they worked. My fuel consumption dropped.
Over time it rose again and I had it on the rolling road again, all was well, power curve the same etc.
Fuel consumption stayed where it was. It was just me unconsciously doing things differently cos I was thinking fuel consumption.
I got between 10 and 30 mpg on that thing.

Mar 26, 2021
I’m a bit unsure as to what the best fuel is to be honest. Most people seem to rate Shell V Power, for both the RON rating and additives. However it also has 5% ethanol, which seems to be a downside?

I think momentum is ethanol free and also 99 RON but doesn’t have the additives.

Cost aside, I’m not sure what’s more important - to run ethanol free or have the cleaning additives.

What are people’s thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I’m a bit unsure as to what the best fuel is to be honest. Most people seem to rate Shell V Power, for both the RON rating and additives. However it also has 5% ethanol, which seems to be a downside?

I think momentum is ethanol free and also 99 RON but doesn’t have the additives.

Cost aside, I’m not sure what’s more important - to run ethanol free or have the cleaning additives.

What are people’s thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it depends what you want from your fuel.

Ethanol is a biofuel so is better for the environment than not adding it to fuel.

All modern engines, you can look yours up, will suffer no harm from ethanol, but you will get a tiny bit less power potentially, a fraction of a percent and higher performance engines with less tolerance, because of their engine mappings, do benefit from a higher octane rating which the super unleadeds all have.
Octane rating will allow more timing advance and higher boost pressure for a given number of rpm so you can get a better response to your right foot even in a lower performance car, but it costs more, disproportionately more to the benefit in my view.

All fuels have cleaning additives unless you have some racing mix. The super unleadeds tend to have more additives. You can add chemicals your self, which is much cheaper and people have been doing this for decades.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members