silica grain in the header tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
f0313d7c75cc8089f31213bd8d99d637.jpg

Does this look like the same as what you bought? I’ve found a few with slight differences and can’t get to my car just yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Joshua Oakes

I also got mine from GSF but it had this code;

Item in your orderQtyPrice
EXPANSION TANK
SKU: 174VG0320
1Excl. Tax: £19.19
Incl. Tax: £23.03
Subtotal​
£23.03​
Shipping & Handling​
£0.00​
Grand Total (Excl.Tax)
£19.19
VAT​
£3.84​
Grand Total (Incl.Tax)
£23.03

Reactions: Woody_72

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
So I had another look at my reservoir bottle and it only has G13 printed on it. No 'Mit Silikat' labelled anywhere.
Along with no mention in the manual for needing a silicone bag or changing the fluid at set intervals if you don't have a bag in reservoir.
So my point being if I wasn't reading these forum threads I'd presume the coolant would never need changing, Just topping up..... Unless I'm missing it.. Could someone point me in the right direction.... Thanks..

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
Another question off on a bit of a tangent, where do people usually buy they’re coolant from? Assuming just euro car parts or Halfords typing in reg should give you correct stuff?

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Another question off on a bit of a tangent, where do people usually buy they’re coolant from? Assuming just euro car parts or Halfords typing in reg should give you correct stuff?

That's where I got my G13 stuff from... Where I get my oil from too...

arizla

Dec 7, 2014
Bishop Auckland
Hi, I have a 2019 Leon Sport 2.0 TSI 190 DSG
Just had a look at mine, It is G13 Mit Silikat and looks to have some sort of bag just inside it
Being under warranty I'm not sure whether to touch mine or not,
any suggestions from you guys

Reactions: Joshua Oakes

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
Hi, I have a 2019 Leon Sport 2.0 TSI 190 DSG
Just had a look at mine, It is G13 Mit Silikat and looks to have some sort of bag just inside it
Being under warranty I'm not sure whether to touch mine or not,
any suggestions from you guys

I’ve got a bag and haven’t yet touched it, I am planning on it though. However I’m out of warranty, I wouldn’t bother inside of this because if it goes the work would be carried out under warranty anyways. I would consider it for when your cars warranty runs out because then if the bag bursts the cost of repairs falls on you

Reactions: Steve J

Steve J

May 26, 2019
I’ve got a bag and haven’t yet touched it, I am planning on it though. However I’m out of warranty, I wouldn’t bother inside of this because if it goes the work would be carried out under warranty anyways. I would consider it for when your cars warranty runs out because then if the bag bursts the cost of repairs falls on you

Same as me. I've still got a years warranty so leaving mine in and after I'll think about it then. Currently had no issues but if it split it'll be straight back to Seat under warranty

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I thought that someone had confirmed that at some point in time, these bags started to get replaced with a better form of container for the silicate granules - I thing that I read that in this forum, as to what exactly that means to those without "mit silikat" or just the original bags that might just break open, I can't say, just another variable to add into the increasing slight confusion - with still no good trustworthy "resource" quality statement available.

Using facts from Halfords or ECP to select a version of VW Group equivalent coolant is at best very risky, if collectively "we" can't get a good grip on this, they certainly will not.

Edit:- I'd expect Halfords and ECP just to correctly suggest which by build date, or very roughly by reg date, version of G11, G12, G12+, G12++, G13 VW Group could/should have used at initial factory fill. I'd doubt if G12evo is on many aftermarket suppliers lists yet, but will get quoted by the supplier of the base coolant that VW Group uses.

jonboy984

Jul 9, 2020
I've read this thread with interest and finally decided to have the silicone bag removed this morning.

A lucky escape here as the silicone bag had already started to split!
085cab07b8dbcd228d2e3ed21f6e9c32.jpg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've read this thread with interest and finally decided to have the silicone bag removed this morning.

A lucky escape here as the silicone bag had already started to split!

Shocking really! VW Group hang your head even lower in shame!

Edit:- which engine is in your car - this site should encourage all of us to display which model of car and engine we have so that posting answers is easier and relevant - I've just checked and I didn't find that out about your car, maybe I'm blind.

jonboy984

Jul 9, 2020
Shocking really! VW Group hang your head even lower in shame!

Edit:- which engine is in your car - this site should encourage all of us to display which model of car and engine we have so that posting answers is easier and relevant - I've just checked and I didn't find that out about your car, maybe I'm blind.
150 TDI - it's on my user profile but dependant on how you access the forum, you may not be able to see it

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
I am glad i have come across this thread, i have just bought myself a 2013 184 FR, to find after the DPF did a regen i got coolant loss from the header, i have checked and it states on the header it has the bag, tested my heating not one ounce of heat so i am guessing the heater matrix will need to be replaced.

Picture below of my Leon, lets hops its gets fixed.

IMG_20200731_164739.jpg

Last edited: