Single Reversing Light-I take a Dim View

beachboy

Mar 28, 2004
leon1p,
There is a pretty good chance that the sensors will pick up a mesh fence but try it slowly and see.
I am guessing that the sensors work in a similar way to an autofocus camera.
Just imagine taking a shot of a lion in its cage. Depending on the sophistication of the camera it is sometimes possible to mistakenly focus on a bar of the cage instead of the lion, hence an out-of-focus lion. With the parking sensor it is essential it spots the bar and not the fresh air between the bars.

Jon Legge

To be honest the sensors do drive you nuts sometimes! We have what the builders call a car port at our house. I call it a garage with no doors on it! But because it is so narrow the sensors think yr about to hit it as you go thro. One day i will hit it cos of the false information!

Thorgen

leon1p,
There is a pretty good chance that the sensors will pick up a mesh fence but try it slowly and see.
I am guessing that the sensors work in a similar way to an autofocus camera.
Just imagine taking a shot of a lion in its cage. Depending on the sophistication of the camera it is sometimes possible to mistakenly focus on a bar of the cage instead of the lion, hence an out-of-focus lion. With the parking sensor it is essential it spots the bar and not the fresh air between the bars.

Nope. They work by sending ultrasonic waves which bounce of from obstacles back to the sensors receiver part. Bats use the same principal for flying in complete darkness. Suffice to say small objects give a poor feedback and are much more difficult for the sensor to pickup.

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
I don't have sensors on mine to test but I will see if I can find some bats.. and some no more nails. I suppose a cat would also be quite good if you gaffer taped it to the bumper and slowly backed up. I dont know whether the louder squeals would mean you had plenty room and the quieter meant less room or vice versa though.

beachboy

Mar 28, 2004
Thorgen,
I stand corrected, thank you for the explanation.
With all these high-tech gadgets it is wise not to rely on them completely. They are NOT infallible as you point out.

Last edited:
Hey People.
Well AS I m based in Germany i bought my leon fr tax free which is great but as you people say it only has one reverse light which ment i had to but a pair of new left hand drive rear lights just so i was legal to drive my car in germany.
I wish they thought of putting two lights would make life easier but hey the car is still a BEAST.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Did anyone try the phillips bulbs in their car? If so, was it any good?

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I don't have sensors on mine to test but I will see if I can find some bats.. and some no more nails. I suppose a cat would also be quite good if you gaffer taped it to the bumper and slowly backed up. I dont know whether the louder squeals would mean you had plenty room and the quieter meant less room or vice versa though.

I have two cats taped to the back of mine with feet out. These I find are VERY good, one squeal is close two squeals and stop these are easily replaceable if you get a failure :bounce: :crash:

beachboy

Mar 28, 2004
Rampage,
Yes, I did fit the Philips Vision Plus. It is a straight swap.
I cannot detect any improvement whatsoever.
My advice is don't bother and save your money

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
LoL, I was more worried that thet larger bulb wouldn't physically fit.
Thanks, might try and put a headlight bulb in mine, just depends how hot it will get in there!
I do a lot of reversing down narrow roads (don't ask) so good rear lighting is quite important to me!

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Reading the leonpassion forum, a chap fitted a piaa 27 watt bulb to his and reckoned it worked. Have seen them called "Audi daylight running lamps" too, 27 watt (not confused with the led jobbies /r8 etc) on sale on ebay from seller called kash3838, around £12 a pair...

H8T WP

Reading the leonpassion forum, a chap fitted a piaa 27 watt bulb to his and reckoned it worked. Have seen them called "Audi daylight running lamps" too, 27 watt (not confused with the led jobbies /r8 etc) on sale on ebay from seller called kash3838, around £12 a pair...
give em a go and let us know

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.