Small strip of metal fell into oil filler

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
How changed my spark plugs on my Leon today and as I have to remove the oil cap to get to the first spark plug I twisted off the cap but when I pulled it off a piece of metal from the cap that keeps into place snapped off and felt into the where the oil goes in.

Tried to hoover it out to no avail.

Is this potentially dangerous to engine or will it likely find its way into the sump? It's quite a thin bit of what seems like aluminium about a cm or so big.

Thanks!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
If it's dropped into the oil filler, I thought that went straight down to the sump. Which would be a bonus as hopefully then it'll either stay there or the oil pickup pipe will catch it. I guess the only way to be 100% sure is to drop the sump. I guess if you've got the time and money you could crack the sump plug and drain the oil and try and flush it out. Feel for you though.

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
There is oil galleries that go to the sump. Try taking the rocker cover off and see if you can see the piece of metal. If you can't then remove the sump. I would not stop till I find the piece cos it could be detrimental or it could be fine. But I wouldn't take the risk

Reactions: Legojon

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
Thanks for replies. Before I think of removing rocker, I've ordered a thin flexible magnet tool so tomorrow will see if I can fish it out using that first, wish me luck! Its about 1mm thick and 1 cm long would that have made its way to sump or could it be trapped somewhere straight down?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
What a bitch! Feel for you on that one too. Agree with mamic172, you need to find it really as there is a risk it either blocks an oil gallery or gets caught in the valve gear.

I think you'll need to take rocker cover off, as if it is aluminium then it's non-magnetic and a magnet won't help.

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
Ah it must not have been aluminium in the end as I tested the clip on the other side with a magnet and the magnet stuck to it. It was a bar magnet so didn't do much to help get it out, but hopefully that tool will help tomorrow.

What path does the oil filler take ? I'm hoping it has just gone straight to the bottom of that gallery so it's easy enough to pick up.

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Problem with using a magnet is that it will stick to the valve springs, valve retainers, cams etc. I would for the quicker option just remove the rocker cover and have a look. Also as it's now sat for a bit the oil would have 89% drained to the sump so should be easily seen. But there is pockets in the head casting that hold oil so you will have pools of oil there.
But if it just fell in it should be around the filler area.
For the sake if 5 mins wip the rocker cover off and make your life so much Easier

Reactions: Legojon

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
Is taking the rocker cover off just a few bolts? Would I need a new gasket though? Trying to find some videos on YouTube on how to do it!

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
Non luck with magnet, but looked to remove cover but it is not a 5 min job it's a metal cover and looks like injectors have to come off to get it all off?

Also on closer inspection if seems that there is a baffle plate over cam that it has fallen into like a trough, but I can't dig out the piece out.

Does anyone know if on the 1.6 engines there is a baffle plate over the cam?

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
Bit of an update on this, was on a video call with my uncle (mechanic) and it seems the bit of metal is trapped on top of the integrated oil baffle, so awaiting for the endoscope to arrive today so can seach for it and fish it out. I still want to get it out to prevent the small chance of it bouncing around and dropping down the hole into there the cams are. Driving me mad this, good news is that its "in" the cover still and not lying on the cylinder head or anywhere else

Last edited:
May 25, 2024
i know this is some time ago, but i got the same problem. i have the same engine (1.6 16v) and my oil filler cap broke off so now there is a metal piece somewere in there. i tried taking off the rocker cover but i need to completely remove the timing belt to get it off. how did you fix it?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
i know this is some time ago, but i got the same problem. i have the same engine (1.6 16v) and my oil filler cap broke off so now there is a metal piece somewere in there. i tried taking off the rocker cover but i need to completely remove the timing belt to get it off. how did you fix it?
If you can see it then something like this might be the best bet of picking it up. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3Q74PP7G4SC3K

You can get cheap borescopes these days as well. Other than that then there's probably no real way to get it other than remove the rocker cover.

May 25, 2024
If you can see it then something like this might be the best bet of picking it up. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3Q74PP7G4SC3K

You can get cheap borescopes these days as well. Other than that then there's probably no real way to get it other than remove the rocker cover.
thanks for replying,
Im not sure where it is, but it was about 2,5 cm by 1 cm big so im asuming it hasn't gone down to the oil pan. I talked to a local mechanic today, they don't have time for the next 3 weeks so i think im gonna try it with a magnetic grabber and maybe remove my oil pan to check if its there. wish me luck.

Reactions: mty12345

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
thanks for replying,
Im not sure where it is, but it was about 2,5 cm by 1 cm big so im asuming it hasn't gone down to the oil pan. I talked to a local mechanic today, they don't have time for the next 3 weeks so i think im gonna try it with a magnetic grabber and maybe remove my oil pan to check if its there. wish me luck.
good luck, hope you find it without too much hassle

May 25, 2024
good luck, hope you find it without too much hassle
I found it. I drained the oil, no luck there, i loosened the rocker cover to fit a borescope in between en kept looking for over an hour, still hadn't found it, then I talked to a mechanic and he said I should just cut the timing belt and take the rocker cover off to find that piece of metal so I did. I'm getting it towed to a mechanic next week so he can retime my engine en install new belts and a waterpomp. Glad I found the piece.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members