Snapped timing belt

Keegs

Hi Guys,

Snapped the timing belt on my 01 20v turbo leon. Bent all 12 inlet valves. was thinking it maybe cheaper to get a replacement head, could anyone recomend somewhere to get a one from

Thanks John

Last edited by a moderator:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
12 exhaust valves?

12 inlet valves, 8 exhaust valves.

But yeah second hand head might be better inless you get the guides checked, they might be cracked.

oooooo i hate hearing this it makes me want to change my timing belt although its been done recently! gives me ocd!!

Sorry to hear your news mate, im not up with engine componants i know where to get heads re machined near me but i think you need more than that im not sure what to suggest buddy.:confused:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I sold a 1.8T head a short while back and didnt get much for it so best have a look about.

Keegs

The belt was ment to have been replaced at 60k when i got the car it had 68k on it it now has 98k on

andycupra

status subject to change
i read that it had not been changed... as he says it should have been changed at 60,000, but i got impression this had not been done.

Reason i was asking is that i actually have not seen much discussion over snapped belts, which either means its fairly rare or we are good on SCN for making sure they get changed regularly.
So any info on mileage and age of failed belts would be good.

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
i narrowly avoided a disaster like this. i bought the car with an alleged timing belt change at 60k. however i was suspicious about it not being stamped.

on my 2nd service i thought its better to be safe than sorry, and got it changed with the water pump.
lets just say my car was the buzzing story all day at the garage.

aparently my timing belt was so freyed that it was a matter of DAYS before it snapped. they have never seen a timing belt frey before, its either in its entirity, or snapped. this gave me a shock+relief at the same time.

you could try getting an engine rebuild?and if you're a bit of a modder, maybe bore it out to a 2ltr at the same time? thats what i would have done if my timing belt did snap. i know someone who has rebuilt the 1.8T engines so sounded like a viable option.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.