Softening the ride - LCR

Jun 16, 2008
hello people,

i dont know where to start with this, so was wondering if you guys could offer me some advise

i know loads of u prefer the harder ride for the performance feel etc etc, but ive got so many pot holes around my area that im getting fed up with the hard suspension.

im not sure WHAT exactly needs doing....but what can i do to soften the ride (apart from tyres)?

anything in PARTICULAR i should look at.
specific products etc?

thanks as always
Joe

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Exactly lol may as well sell it and get some thing else there a hot hatch and ment to be like it . Either live with it or live with out it

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Exactly lol may as well sell it and get some thing else there a hot hatch and ment to be like it . Either live with it or live with out it

Totally agree with that Dan.

Lowered mine on coilies and ride is harsher if you hit a pothole, but I just make the effort to drive round and avoid as much as poss now. It looks 1000 times better than oem ride height gotta say. These cars look like they hug the road when lowered, lol.

When I get the car on a nice country road that's smooth you'll be pleased you have that stiffer suspension and not some rolly squishy crap setup!! All about getting these LCR's planted and the power down as smooth as poss.

Jun 16, 2008
i completely agree..... on the motorway its lovely, i can fault that

but if u live where i do, you'd understand where im coming from

hot hatch or not, its each to their own - if i can modify the car to make my experience more pleasing then why not?

t32er

you could change the top mounts to the cupra ones rather than the lcr ones, will sofen things up a little, failing that sell the LCR, buy an LC...

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Seen this tittle and thought - no, surely not!
I really don't understand people that buy a car and then start wanting to change something an big as the ride to be softer, did you not test drive the car? Take the pot holes into consideration?

Performance mods may not increase resale value however this will.
Don't do it, just buy something a bit less harsh. Cupra or Golf?

jimbob99

Oct 8, 2010
halifax, west yorkshire
ive never liked hard rides, ive come from mainly bmw's and audis etc and failed to even notice many pot holes in my area then all of a sudden there were loads? lol BUT in all fairness i think the car is worth it, i dont think i could handle going any lower than oem around here tho as the speEd ramps are massive and the potholes are, well taking the piss to be honest
OOOOO DONT GET ME STARTED ON POTHOLES!!!!!!
:)

Jun 16, 2008
Of course i test drove the car and all that.

But my need is justified if you saw the pot holes etc around here.

why would anyone want to drive around bumping up and down every 2 minutes? tell me.

t32er - arnt the top mounts on the LCR specific though?
i.e. i could put LCR mounts on a LC but not vice versa

JamJay

California Bound
There's really nothing that you can do TBH other than the idea Dan put forward. You've then got the issue of getting a wheel that'll clear the Brembo's so that leaves you with LC Starfish alloys and spacers really, then some 215/60 rubber which will look awful but hey, you either want a softer ride or not. You can't change the dampers for softer ones, 1.4 Golf ones won't fit the front so you're pretty much looking at selling the LCR and buying a non-sporty diesel.

t32er

yea the top mounts are for the lcr, you can put the LC ones in it just makes it all a little softer so i have been told when i bought a set for mine, didnt fit them though, im used to the "stone skimming over a lake" feel lol

Jun 16, 2008
nope, no aftermarket suspension - thats completely standard.

i may just attach some pillows to my arse.

t32
cheers, will defo consider that option :)

t32er

there is some thing else you can do, cheaper than all the other stuff, iv done it in the past on my LC when i had it...
go to a camping shop and buy a set of towing helpers...
they are shoch absorbing rubber insurts that you slip inbetween the coils of the spring, they come in a few diffrent thikness, i paid about 11 quid for a pair, i needed them on the front to raise it a little to get it on the ramps, i had the biggest they did and had them in there for over a year,

t32er

i dont think your not reading it rite...
i used the biggest so it raised my lc a little (mine was dropped 45mm, i had the thickest they did just over an inch thick it raised my car 4mm, just enough to get it on the ramps with out it scrapping the bumper.

they compress ther not solid, they absorb the shock caused when you het a bump or divit, he wont need the thick ones they have 5-6 diffrent sizes i would prob say he will need 1/2 inch, wont raise the car atall

JaWalks

You could find someone with an FR+ and see if they will swap alloys. Same wheel only 17 inch instead of 18 if I'm not mistaken? Might help a little.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.