Sort out my chuffin' handling!

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
'03 leon 110 tdi, 98,000 miles, standard suspension at the minute.

What will best sort out my handling? I was toying with the idea of lowering, but I like the ride height as it is because it is practical and comfortable.

What is the best way to sort out the damn handling.

Threw it round a few roundabouts earlier and if feels HORRIBLE!

What is the best thing to do and how much am I looking at? I don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds, but I don't want to have to replace these components next year!

Andy

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Your suspension will be fairly soft and not really sporty hence feeling not nice in the twisties
After 100000 miles most bushes will be worn and can do with over hauling and replacing
Could replace springs and shocks with a firmer but not much lower setup to handle corners better, whilst fitting new top mount bushes and bearings done too. Even rebush wishbones if you want to.
Addition of a rear anti roll bar (not too thick) to balance handling and stop too much understeer
Engine mounts could be re bushed if wanting to and front ARB too
Some bushes could be replaced with poly to give additional firmness on the softer bushes
some guestimate prices
Spring and shock combo circa 500 quid(speak to damian at dpm he will advise on these better than me)
top mounts, wishbones and bearings about 70 quid (dave at sere motors for cheap OE stuff)
Engine mounts from THS or INA about 150 to 200 quid
Rear anti roll bar (smallish) speak to awesome gti or dpm about 150 quid

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
Maybe something on your suspension has gone?

I've a 110 tdi and ride is perfect. Comfortable on a long motorway cruise, yet pretty steady when flinging it round the bends.

The only things I'm considering for slightly better handling is upper & lower strut brace, and looking into wider tyres / alloys.

But suspension wise, I find the 110 tdi's pretty decent compared to other stuff I've driven!

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
new shocks and springs with new top mounts etc, upper s3 brace, lower s3 brace, tt wishbone bushes, superpro arb bushes, rear arb, rear axle bushes, new track rod and track rod ends, new cv joints, new ball joints.... and if your feeling rich, quaife/peloquins/wavetrac diff, all that with 4 wheel alignment will see you right.

maybe invest in larger or wider alloys and spacers, but id do the above first.

a bit to get on with there eh.

heatfan8

Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
Ok, I am going to be getting the fr3 kit from THS as my engine mounts are knackered anyway.

What will GSF bushes be like for front arb, axle etc?

Any links to recommended products?

Cheers

heatfan8

Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
ths engine mounts fitted. Front lower strut brace on the way (hopefully). Will GSF bushes be ok? What size are the arb bushes I need? Will GSF ones be OK?

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Post in the sere motors section, OE parts from SEAT dealer but cheaper
He will be able to tell you parts and sizes you need

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.