Southbend clutch trouble

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Has anyone had any issues with fitting these clutches, as i have just had my Southbend Stage 4 clutch and 13lb flywheel fitted and the garage is saying that they can't select any gears and that there is not enough clearance?

Anyone got any ides? :(

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Just been to have a look at the car, Gears can be selected when engine is not running allthough very stiff, but as soon as you start the engine no gears can be selected.

If you start the car in 1st gear, it then wont release out of gear.

Help:banghead2

mat20vt

garage had trouble with my sachs clutch. had a job with the gears, turned out needed to change master cylinder

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Never had a problem like this with the previous Spec stage 3, It just never engaged untill very late.

Would faulty master cylinder or clutch cylinder have these symtoms?

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
I spoke to the garage about the master cylinder and they said that the problem is not hydraulic and that the peddle feel/travel is good, so they are saying that the clutch must be faulty.

Going to be fun sorting this one out.:cry:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
not so... was'nt the case on matts anyhow. the garage said the same thing. for his, it worked right once then not again..

pedal felt fine but there was drag on the clutch as there was not the right movement @ the clutch which no one can see

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
not so... was'nt the case on matts anyhow. the garage said the same thing. for his, it worked right once then not again..

pedal felt fine but there was drag on the clutch as there was not the right movement @ the clutch which no one can see

Is it much of a job to change the Cylinder Bill, as i might get them to do it just to make sure?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Would it not be obvious to a mechanic what way round the friction plate should go?

matts replacement correct one had a note to reverse the friction plate in it..
if this is similar, then it could be missed I guess

access to the thing is the pain.. downpipe and stuff likely in the way

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Looking at the picture of the plate it has marked on it GEARBOX-SIDE so i wouldn't of thought that they could of got that wrong.

I am getting them to price up the master cylinder.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
I spoke to the garage about the master cylinder and they said that the problem is not hydraulic and that the peddle feel/travel is good, so they are saying that the clutch must be faulty.

Going to be fun sorting this one out.:cry:
I had the exact same problem as that,i bought a steel flywheel from a company then bought a spec clutch and after taking the clutch out twice trying another set up it turned out to be the flywheel not machined correctly:banned:Absolute pain when things like this happen!

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Yeah i know steve, makes it worse when the parts come from the state's aswell, that will teach me, wont be happening again.:(

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.