Speaker Upgrade

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi Guys

I hope you can help. I bought a set of Hertz Uno K165 speakers to replace the old set up. I did one door with an adapter to make two wires from four for the mid bass driver and connected the new tweeter using existing connector from old tweeter. I did a quick sound test and it kinda sounds tinny. I can see the tweeter has an online filter for high freqs and assume I can connect the mid bass directly with no crossover. Is there something I have missed here? Should I wire it different? Perhaps I need an amp? Any help or advice on what people have done.

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi there. I did the same upgrade exactly with the same Hertz Uno K (but mine is 130). I must say the old OEM speakers (philips) are pretty good and with a good bass (keep them while they last) ;). Regarding connections, the Hertz tweeters have a crossover inside the cable on the "+" wire. Be aware not to cut the wire too short on connections or you will cut the crossover out. But yes, you can connect the radio audio wires directly to bass and tweeter terminals. In fact, the OEM setup is done on the Bass speaker where there is a plug with four wires (all in parallel): two wires for bass "+" and "-" and splits (inside the plug/speaker) on more two wires that go up the door for the tweeter "+" and "-".
I did used the SEAT OEM wires and solder everything so it would connect with the same OEM plugs.

I must say I also got disappointed with the power of the sound on low volume level with Hertz. The OEM speakers delivered much more loudness on low volume. And the tweeters have a kind of directional wavelenght, if you move your head 1 inche it makes a diference on listenning. But once you raise the volume up the Hertz became alive and deliver enough power and the clarity is much better with no distortion where OEM would struggle to keep decent.

I also got curious and tried with a borrowed amp (and DSP) and its night and day. But that's a much more expensive setup and for that I would upgrade to Focal speakers to match the overall upgrade.

Meanwhile the backdoors speakers also died and I just managed to install a Pioneer TS-G130c setup just for now and it's a joke! You can't almost hear the tweeters - I even thought they could have fell inside the door o_O.

It was my mistake going to 13cm where I could go to 16cm but maybe next time.

Hope you can achieve it.

Regards

Attachments

• Hertz Speaker.jpg
    Hertz Speaker.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Jay20VT

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Another thing I forgot: the radio unit! I don't have the SEAT Aura unit anymore. I have a Pioneer with 4x40W. I am not sure but I think Aura is 4x20W. That makes quite a difference.

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
I fitted the uno x speakers all round and I gotta say I think they are brilliant so crystal clear with just enough bass, but what I also did as they sit a little further back into the door over oem was sound dead the inside and the outside area of the doors and fitted speaker foam rings to stop any unwanted vibration or maybe tinny sounds with them sitting closer to the door. It may make sum difference but luckily above has fitted them, as stated maybe an amp lot more work though. I think you will be pleased once they are performing well.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I'm actually thinking of going oldskool and mounting some larger speakers (hidden) in the parcel shelf. I have a spare shelf i could butcher to make a small enclosure to both hold the speakers and reinforce the shelf.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I'm actually thinking of going oldskool and mounting some larger speakers (hidden) in the parcel shelf. I have a spare shelf i could butcher to make a small enclosure to both hold the speakers and reinforce the shelf.
I used MDF cut to the same as shelf also added pins for hinges and some speaker cloth back in the day, worked well due to weight as there's no sag..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members