Speed camera warnings

AndrewRL

Jun 17, 2021
So, my usual techno dinosaur question/challenge...

I had my first service and have no idea what they did but I now get audible pings from the infotainment system when approaching speed cameras. I didn't think the standard sat nav did that and am certain it is not coming from there anyway (as the sat nav gets lost occasionally so is not even on the correct road..see other thread). I assume that it must be coming from some link to my phone (google maps? tomtom?) but I haven't changed any settings recently. Tomtom is not usually "logged in"/open unless I am using it.

I don't really mind EXCEPT the pings are heart stoppingly loud so I am trying to find out how to turn them down. Any ideas? Is it just a case of trying to turn the volume control in the one second duration of the warning 😳😳?

Thanks.

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
I don't think our cars have speed cameras built into the navigation database. I know on earlier cars you could add them as points of interest onto the SD card but we don't have SD cards. Are you sure it's not an app on your phone? try it with the phone switched off and see what happens.

Eryas

Feb 21, 2022
Belgium
Sometimes I have speed camera alert but with voice (not ping), and it come frome Google Map (Android Auto).

Tell

Staff member
The Google Map ones are user reports which are a bit wobbly if nobody has marked it up. Here Maps which is the mib3 built in maps does have an option for Here Maps to build a speed camera database. It's possible if the built in system has started pinging then it's picking up these attributes. Here Maps will have a bit of a job on to digitise these from afresh. Different countries make these databases publicly available.

Connected cars do have access to commercial real time databases so they may be coming in via that source. The one that shows traffic delays but not TMC the digital version. On the Android apps you can experience these on TomTom real time app (Amigo) independent from Google Maps. May very well be picking up user attribute warnings shared via that service.

Google apparently has a database of fixed camera but access to the location of the mobile hot spots is more important as these are moved about. Traditionally crowd sourced databases covered both which you could load into mib2. People used the German VW site for the import that was discontinued several years ahead of mib2 being discontinued. VAG has a love hate relationship with POI warnings sounds taking that out of mib2 connected services, ditto Skoda. Seat never got mib2 connect services to import POIs. Poinspectir gained a new life after VW discontinued the POI import web site plus no sound on the alerts.

For mib2 only a resource on that:

As far as getting POIs in Mib3 its not going to happen in mib3 they left the menu out as part of the design. Unless they subsequently put the menu in Mib4 etc it can't be done.

TSR is your best bet for speed warnings enabling an audible warning if exceeding the digitised road speed / speed read off signage. You always know when exceeding the speed by accident. That's different to breaking the law between cameras and slowing down for known spots. The latter that VAG effectively stopped supporting.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise