Sport Engines

Si_TDi_FR

Oct 6, 2009
Northallerton
Hey guys,

Ive had a couple of MK5's as courtesy cars whilst mine gets some new dash clocks.

First of all i received a 1.4 16v sport, 3door in candy white with sunroof and must say its a nice car but the engine was awful. The gearbox just doesnt go with the engine at all.

I asked if i could have a diesel instead as it was costing a fortune to run with the mileage i do and now i've been given a 5door candy white 1.6tdi sport and my god it's a brilliant little diesel engine! Would wipe the floor all day over the 1.4! I average 63mpg on my way back from work which shows up my MK4 FR PD130 of 52mpg lol

Overall the sport seems a good model to choose and this 5door has the bluetooth which seems really good up to now.

Si

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
yeah, i agree about the 1.4 model, i had one for a courtesy car and i felt it much slower than my own car which has the 100hp 1.4 engine. Really like the mk5 though, much more solidly built than the mk4, shame the expert reviews are not that good :(

Si_TDi_FR

Oct 6, 2009
Northallerton
Dont get me wrong the engine is fine but i found the gear ratios far too long and felt like you had to really rev it up some hills in the lake district

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I am more than happy with my 1.6 TDi. Just filled it up and checked the fuel consumption, mainly urban driving for this tank of fuel and it returned 59.7mpg.

My old Leon Cupra R used to average about 23mpg for the same type of driving, so I am saving a fortune and it is quite a nice car to drive.......

gillian & james

Feb 28, 2010
We've got the 1.6 tdi and it is a nice car. Cheap tax, fairly good mpg with decent overtaking potential. However I don't get anywhere near the 67 mpg (more like 50 ish), and when it does a regen, it runs like a massey ferguson tractor! lol.

gaffer1986

I love my 1.6 TDI CR SC sport, i use it for part time driving instruction and have still had no problem with my DPF in over 5000 miles. When it regenerates, the engine does shake and run like a tractor, i find that part a bit embarrasing and my pupils hate it when it regenerates.

It is slower than my old 1.9 TDI PD 130 but still fast enough for all types of legal driving.
I get anywhere from 45 - 74 mpg, however it doesn't like 70 mph, it will only achieve about 55 mpg at a constant 70 mph unlike the old 1.9 which would do 60+ mpg at 70 mph.

The best bit about the 1.6 TDI CR is you can hardly hear the engine form inside the car and when revved hard it actually sounds suprisingly petrol like.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise