Spring choice??

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
Hello people
I have been searching for a couple of months for a set of -40mm Lowering springs for my 1.2 12v ibiza (2004). i have found only three manufacturers that make them. i basically need some guidance on which one is best quality, ride etc. doesnt really matter if you haven't personally experienced the specific ride on the 1.2 its just an overall experience im after.

Koni -40mm £93 p+p
Jamex -40mm £74 p+p
Gmax -40mm 102 p+p

i will be getting them fitted by my Dad (x-mechanic)

I need advice:confused::shrug:

oedo

Only my experience but I had a full g max kit on a vento years ago, springs were rubbish although shocks gave decent ride/handling but didn't last long before leaking.

oedo

Aye couldn't you get a set of those coilovers the guys on club polo use for £200? Supplied by Jackson Tunning I think... google it.

That way you can adjust the height to perfection and you won't have the problem of mis-matched springs/shocks.

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
Thanks for the replys guys! i was very much put off by the price of coilovers intially thats why i was looking at springs, but if i can get a VERY standard set of coilovers that doesnt compromise ride height, handling & comfort then please suggest the CHEAPEST set i can get. Personnally comfort isnt THE MAIN concern but how low i can get it & price is!

just to reiterate I dont want to be spending £250+. Even if (as previously suggested) that they were specifically made for the Ibiza 1.2 12v but fit the VAG range then suggestions will be very much appreciated!!!! :)

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
I have spent the best part of two days looking on this and other forums trying to decide the best thing for me to do! I AM STILL TORN BETWEEN CHOICES...coilovers or springs! it seems springs are used on the smaller engined cars that dont require that Exceptional handling that say a 1.8T cupra might! where as coilovers have that advantage of being able to be adjusted but at SUCH A EXPENSE! i know i know....for quality you must pay for it but....i just want something that is low, wont affect my shocks ADVERSELY i.e. i still want them to be ok in a couple of years time. (fair usage mind) the ride inside matters but if i am able to get low then i will sacrifice it. i was in my mates MG ZR lowered 40mm on springs. he has had it for about 4 years and no problems. its handling is RAZOR sharp no body roll! he hasnt even got a strut brace. Ill be honest i have a 1.2 for the fact i cannot afford the onset of a bigger engined car and the higher insurance and the petrol etc etc....so i dont think £250+ on one component is COMPLETELY justifiable...i would rather spend it on performance or the little bit that i have :)....i have a query also..if the shocks will wear at a more advanced rate then whats wrong with buying standards shocks again to replace them? (providing they hold out for a good few years?)

im going fooking crazy!!

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
My shocks lasted 5 months with a 35mm drop on Eibach springs, you going to fork out £300 to replace the shocks every 6 months??

I'll find a link mate...

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
You need 6L, have a looksie buddy, its easy to search when you know how! ;)

Find a set you like/think will fit then post a link, i'll let you know if they fit! :)

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
6L is right, springs/shocks will be £250 ish then fitting at £150 - just read your dad is fitting!

Standard shocks are at least £200 mate - fitting made up the rest.

Don't forget tracking.

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
thanks as usual ADLAV always on hand to help another beeza owner out! just looked at the link...£260 is expensive but considering all the other variables i will just have to think about it for now. Along side this kit what other things do i need to get? I read something about bushes or something in the STICKY mk4 suspension thread?....i want to know exactly how much it will be and what im letting my self in for ! :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members