Standard Suspension -> coilovers. Bumpstops transferable?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hey folks,

pretty much as per title really.

If you replace std suspension components with coilovers, can the bumpstops be transferred to the coilovers?

Reason I ask is that I think my 2nd-hand KW's have a pair of them missing. Not sure if it's front or rears yet though.

If not, anywhere that I can pick some up?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
Hey folks,

pretty much as per title really.

If you replace std suspension components with coilovers, can the bumpstops be transferred to the coilovers?

Reason I ask is that I think my 2nd-hand KW's have a pair of them missing. Not sure if it's front or rears yet though.

If not, anywhere that I can pick some up?

Thanks

What about powerflex bump stops? This will be my next suspension change once a harder strut mount is ready.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Well - as I understand it - unless the coilovers are wound right to the lowest setting, the car will hardly ever make contact with them? Is this right?

Not sure what benefit powerflex bump stops would provide?

Mar 8, 2007
Hello there, I believe on the Ibiza the rear stops are 67mm - short and should not cause any problems.

However, I have a Fabia VRS and our rear bump stops are 120mm, I am down about 70mm on coilovers and have just found out I've been riding around on the rear bumpstops for 6,000 miles, no wonder my handling and ride felt all buggered up since fitting!

I am now sourcing some Ibiza Cupra bumpstops.

It appears from looking at ETKA that one of the main difference between the Ibiza FR/ CUPRA and Fabia VRS is shorter dampers and shorter bumpstops - this may explain the generally accepted "harsher" ride on the Ibiza compared to the Fabia as standard.

As far as I am aware the generic powerflex stops wont fit into the specially designed top mount.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Thanks mate.

I need to figure out which bumpstops I have, and which are missing.
Are the fronts transferrable from std suspension too?
Thanks

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Thanks mate.

I need to figure out which bumpstops I have, and which are missing.
Are the fronts transferrable from std suspension too?
Thanks

Yup :)

That's why the box has none.. the original ones were fitted (and cut down I believe at the rear) and subsequently re-fitted after

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ahhhh ha - coolio. No problems then :) I thought all new suspension came with new bumpstops, so wondered what might have happened to them.

But it's cool - I've got 2 in the box, which I think are the rears - so just front ones required from my current setup.

Thanks m0rk :)

Mar 8, 2007
Your new coilovers should have bumpstops already fitted on the front?

Post a pic of what is in the box we'll be able to tell you exactly what you've got there.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Doesn't matter, but thanks.
As above, they are not new. M0rk knows about them as he removed them from the previous car.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
ahhhh ha - coolio. No problems then :) I thought all new suspension came with new bumpstops, so wondered what might have happened to them.

But it's cool - I've got 2 in the box, which I think are the rears - so just front ones required from my current setup.

Thanks m0rk :)

Yeah, the car that was part ex'd may not have had it's full compliment of bump stops :cartman:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.