Starter motor fuse.

Paulos52

Jul 12, 2021
Warwickshire
Hello all.....before I go out and get a new starter motor, could someone enlighten me as to where it's fuse is please ?
Just put my battery back on after a full charge and the starter is completely dead......all other electrical bits ok.
P.S. I have already tried the " belt with a hammer " method !

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Using a voltmeter, check if 12V DC is getting to the solenoid on the starter, ie the prime power heavy lead from the alternator or battery +VE.

Also check that the thin lead, that controls the solenoid, has 12V DC on it when the key is held in the start position, that lead is known to fail due to corrosion, even worse if the engine is a TDI as it will "rattle" around more than a petrol engined car, and so fracture quicker.

Reactions: Woody_72

Paulos52

Jul 12, 2021
Warwickshire
Morning......well, I've checked the large lead and there is 12 volts at the solenoid end.
I have, however, decided to bite the bullet and fit a new one. However, it seems that there is more than 1 model fitted to the AUQ engine.
There is a 1.1 KW unit and also a 2.0 KW unit, and 9 or 10 teeth at the drive end.
As it seems that the unit has to be fitted from underneath the car, I've decided to let my regular garage fit it, so I cannot afford to make a mistake when I order one.

Paulos52

Jul 12, 2021
Warwickshire
Could anyone tell me what that pipe running parallel with the electrical connector is for ?
From pictures I've looked at regards the bolt hole positions on the starter, one of them is directly below this pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_091743361.jpg
    IMG_20211114_091743361.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 92

Paulos52

Jul 12, 2021
Warwickshire
Ok thanks......best leave it alone then when trying to undo the starter motor bolt underneath it.
That pic by the way is looking directly down towards the starter motor, which you can't see because of that electrical connector.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise