Starting to mod lcr please help

Jul 4, 2006
Maidstone,Kent
Hey people I have had my lcr for fee years now. Done a few mods to it such as forge 007 p dv bmc CDs airfilter and a stage one map. Lost interest in it for a while but have recently come into some money so I am lookin at getting it to stage two. But not to sure what to get and where to get it from. I have used the search but I am hopeless with it. Also lookin at getting coilovers and strut braces. Can people please help

JamJay

California Bound
Stage 2 you need a turbo-back exhaust. Look at Blueflame, Miltek, Piper or perhaps custom. It's worth adding a FMIC too so have a look at the Forge kit or the guides on here for DIY FMICs which work equally as well. Then of course you need a Stage 2 map, try going back to the place you got the Stage 1 for a discount.

Stut brace...Audi S3 and can buy direct from an Audi dealership. You will need to drill holes for it though.

Coilovers...Weitec or KW seem to be favoured and both under the £700 mark (well Weitec definitely are at about £400). However you won't get either cheap if you want damping adjustable. Try contacting APEX performance, they are a UK supplier of K-Sport coilovers and I was quoted £600ish for a set of damping adjustable ones. I've tried and tested this brand as well as the RS coilovers from the linked company, D2 Racing Sport and both are very good. They lasted 3yrs with no problems at all and still performing as new, they are also rebuildable and serviceable so should a component fail inside, you can buy smaller bit to repair them and not spend another £600!

Jul 4, 2006
Maidstone,Kent
Yeah I have been lookin at the blue flame system on e bay which is bout £700. I also forgot to mention that I have a supersprint exhaust on the car from the cat back. Is there anythng out there to go onto that from the cat up? And with the coilovers which ones would you recommend and where would I find them? Think I will be using Amd fir remap as they seem to be best around where I am

JamJay

California Bound
Blueflame do a 3" downpipe and sports cat which should fit straight on as the opposite end of the cat they supply, reduces down to 2.75" which is about the size of most cat-back systems. Do you know the pipe diameter of your Supersprint?

My LCR isn't running on coilovers so I am not sure which to recommened but Weitec are supposed to be pretty good and the value for money is there too.

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/wei...i-19tdi-cupra-19tdi-fr-19tdi-0999-p-1587.html

They are made by KW too so I hear but almost 1/2 the price :)

Are you going to the AMD rolling road day on the 20th?

Jul 4, 2006
Maidstone,Kent
Oh doesn't it. It's cause I am on my I phone lol. Isn't know anything about it mate to be honest. I have been quiet on here for quite a while. I don't really know anyone on the site either to be fair but I am getting back into it. Not to sure what the diameter is mate sorry.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Jam, I know you've been toying with the idea of a stage 2 map for a while. Have you decided on exhaust, fmic, etc? Do you think you'll take the plunge? :)

JamJay

California Bound
I really don't know, I am still umm-ing and arr-ing about the whole thing :D. One minute i'm all set to sell up and buy an EVO, then I stop myself & think I should grow up so start looking at new shape 3-Series or A4. Then I think I should just keep with what I have because performance wise, what can trump a remapped LCR apart from the big boys.

Then I did the N249 bypass and I was shocked at the difference it made, power feels so strong and it's crazy how fast it pulls so that's settled me for the time being. I would love a ride in a Stage 2 car though, just so I can make my mind up finally.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Mmm, you could argue that a stage 2 is as far as you could go without spending silly money, but then the stage 2 will cost you an exhaust system, fmic, fpr (and tip, dv and filter, if you haven't done that already). Plus the cost of the second map. You're probably talking £2000 including all the labour for another 10% power aren't you. Quite a bit more than the £500 for the 20% power increase of a stage 1. But I can see that you'd want to get the maximum out of the car to see if it can meet all your needs. Thing is where do you stop as a hybrid turbo conversion can be done for another £1000 :D

JamJay

California Bound
Mmm, you could argue that a stage 2 is as far as you could go without spending silly money, but then the stage 2 will cost you an exhaust system, fmic, fpr (and tip, dv and filter, if you haven't done that already). Plus the cost of the second map. You're probably talking £2000 including all the labour for another 10% power aren't you. Quite a bit more than the £500 for the 20% power increase of a stage 1. But I can see that you'd want to get the maximum out of the car to see if it can meet all your needs. Thing is where do you stop as a hybrid turbo conversion can be done for another £1000 :D

Don't, I've already been looking at hybrid but i'd never do it until a good manifold is made which lays in the hands of JBS at the moment. Hybrid seems pointless for what seems like another 10bhp (stage 2 280ish, hybrid 290ish) when if coupled with a good manifold can reach 310 or 320bhp.

I don't condone racing but on a straight dual carriage way (70mph) i've had a poke with my friends STi Bug Eye (270ish) and there's not alot in it. 20mph - 70mph and there was nothing in it, if anything the LCR was starting to inch ahead but that's probs down to the extra 35lb/ft I have. So on that note, to go faster in a straight line, i'd need an FQ300/320 to get a kick.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Yeah, my LCR seems equally as fast as all the STIs I've come across - if not faster - probably due to the lower weight and lower drivetrain losses of the LCR. I only intend moving to stage 2 if my exhaust needs replacing as it would seem silly to stick to OEM in that case.

That's the thing with the LCR (and it's K04-1.8T engine) - there's really not anything for similar money that is as fast, or that can be tuned to be as fast, or that looks as good - for similar money. The only noticable step up your going to get is by adding another 50bhp/tonne and that will cost you a lot of money!

ETA: And would probably mean getting the Evo IX FQ-360... 254bhp/tonne :)

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.