stealth Shelf

Mar 5, 2007
That's pretty awesome. Thanks to both of you for the info! I shall buy you a pint next time I don't see you! :)

Just one more thing. As per that link you sent Rob, where are the tweeters placed??

That bit's always confused me.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The tweeters will replace the standard tweeters in the upper part of the door. You have a grill at the front, top corner of the cards.. behind that is the tweeter. It all becomes clear when you get the door card off.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Kenwood tweeters are a direct push fit replacement for the OEM ones too - suspect the blaupunkt will be similar size too :)

12082006256.jpg

You can just see the back of the tweeter and the wires poking out of the top left of the door card.

12082006255.jpg

Image above shows the crossover location. Those pics should give you an idea of what you're working with :)

Last edited:

skidder

BERK! FEED ME
Aug 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I am getting some really annoying vibrations from the upper speakers on the rear doors, I think it might be the door handles! Anyone had anything similar or got a fix.

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
Id have to agree with robs first post. keep the sound balanced and toward the front.

Plus theres a whole image with 6x9s... do you have a **** spoiler!? Can you face being seen walking out of motor-world with them under your arm!?

Avoid them, spend them on replacing the factory kit if you like. Im still pondering the perfect leon sound myself and feel the same about the sh*t midrange, but i honestly dont believe this is the solution.

If however you try it and find it really does rock, can you let me know, I can always get the 6x9s from mail order. :)

skidder

BERK! FEED ME
Aug 9, 2006
Aberdeen
IMO some people like to show off that they have 6x9's etc which is fine. Mine are on a "stealth shelf" so they are not seen and that suits me. As I see it each to their own, if you are happy with a certain set up then thats cool. It all depends what budget you have, what you want from the system and how much you are into your music. There is great advice out there, as previously stated from ROB M and others and in the end I think its trial and error untill you are happy with the end result.

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
As skid said...

"I think its trial and error untill you are happy with the end result."

try it, if you dont like it sell it, ebay is a wonderful place!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Umm, can someone explain what i'm looking at :)

That's the drivers side front and rear doors on a MK1 Leon with the doorcards removed.

You can see the midrange speaker ( 6.5"), the crossover, the silver wire ( my replacement that runs to the amplifier. Tweeter is mounted on the doorcard NOT the door - you can see the wire it connects to tucked under the doorhandle release wire :)

Mar 5, 2007
I think im probably gonna go for the speakers robby boy suggested further up. Can anyone point me to the cables I'd need to buy?

Also, is it a pain to fit the wiring through to the boot. I mean, as in ripping up all the panels etc etc. It took a fricken age in my coupe. The thought of doing this all again is giving me nightmares :)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Piece of cake to run cables to the boot - you need to remove a bit of trim but it's not going to cause sense of humour failure .... just find somewhere dry under cover to work as you'll need the doors open :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members