Steering issue

milsey

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is normal... actually pretty sure it isn't.

I have 205/40/17's on my seat ibia 1.4 cool/s, used to have 195/50/15's. When I still had the 15's on the car there wa a slight pulling when I drove over an uneven surface, it could pull to the left or the right depending on the road surface. When I put the 17's on this just got worse, its very noticeable but isn't that bad and I have coped with it for a few months now.

Is this because the profile and width of the tyre has changed and the steering colomn/rack can't handle it? Or is it something different altogether?

How do I fix this, what can I do to test where the problem is coming from?

Thanks!

M

patty

Jun 2, 2005
www.gloynboyz.co.uk
i noticed that wen i put a cheap set of 17's on mine but then a changed them and got a new set which was more expensive and it went back normal again wether it was because they was balanced properly or something?

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
its called 'tram lining' basically this is your front wheels following ruts in the road that are caused by lorries etc. 17's dont do well on our cars unfortunatly, 16's are really the max that the car likes.

find a road that is flat and straight (private road) then once you are going in a straight line take both hands off the wheel. if the car startes to rapidly steer one way or the other then get your car tracked. if it slightly goes to the left thats normal due to road camber.

hope that helps a little

milsey

My little car drives fine on flat straights, its just the cambered roads that it hates.

Do you rekon a tougher set of tyres could possibly sort it?? They are due a change soon..

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
New tyres will definitely help. I've got 17's on mine and as soon as the tread starts wearing, tramlining gets much worse.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.