simmytt

step by step speaker change.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Not that I know of. I attempted to look myself, but wasn't feeling to confident in prising the speaker cover off. It seemed to to bend quite a bit and it wouldn't pop off to reveal the speaker, so I left it, but of course, now my speaker cover doesn't sit flush or straight like it was. So no. I haven't found out the depth of speaker that would fit.

BrookerG

cupraa

If it helps with depth i got fli components in with mk4 pods no prob. There normal kinda depth. Just gotta go steady prissing em off, bend the first point back then wedge it and go at at from another point. Sumat wide and fllat screw drivers will do but use a think cloth round end so dont mark plastic

Last edited by a moderator:

foxy367

May 12, 2007
Wigan
I have two sets of the infinity Kappa speakers and the adaptors used to install them which have been in the loft since 2008. If you want them DM me I'll sell them for £30 per box or £50 if you want both sets. All boxed and original bits and pieces with it.

browns977

anyone know, before i buy a USB stick, can i plug it stright into my port (seat leon 170 60plate) and play music from that?

9designs

Sep 21, 2002
Rugby
Visit site
I have two sets of the infinity Kappa speakers and the adaptors used to install them which have been in the loft since 2008. If you want them DM me I'll sell them for £30 per box or £50 if you want both sets. All boxed and original bits and pieces with it.

Thanks mate they got delivered today, one door fitted... Rain stops play... typical, starts to rain soon as I have something to do outside. :cry:

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Thanks for this thread. Was thinking about doing similar the other night.

Abs2788

Jul 28, 2014
West Yorkshire
Is there a big difference with the tweeters being disconnected or can you not notice a difference with the new speakers in and tweeters disconnected. Not sure if its worth the hassle and time to replace the tweeters and take the door card out etc.

Thinking of getting the alpine type r speakers. Anyone had experience with these?

dijas

Jul 24, 2014
anyone know, before i buy a USB stick, can i plug it stright into my port (seat leon 170 60plate) and play music from that?

Yes it does work if you have a RNS 510 installed. I never checked to see if it worked on the RCD 310

PikeyLeon

Sep 3, 2014
Which are the tweeter wires on the original connector? Wires 2/4 are they colour coded??

Rexo

Nov 21, 2014
Sorry to bring up this thread again, but can anybody tell me what size screws I will need in order to fit new speakers? I have the plastic spacer things but that is it, no screws etc.

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
You could do with some small bolts to bolt the spacer to the car then screw the speaker to the spacer.(The set that came with the speakers should be fine) the bolts i would use not very long possibly m4 ones I think they are 4mm wide

Rexo

Nov 21, 2014
cheers, I'm gonna have a go today. I've seen this asked before but with no answer but...Which wires are 2 and 4? I don't want to cut the wrong wires that will be a nightmare!

johnnybb2000

Mar 4, 2015
Seat Leon 2l TDI 2006 Speaker Change

Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you for this excellent guide. I purchased a 165mm speaker upgrade and bought the AutoLeads 3103 adapter. I spent a couple of hours removing my internal door panel - AND I DON'T RECOMMEND DOING THIS!! It was the first time they had been removed and it was not just a ballache but, it would be so easy to break / rip / tare / crack some of the fixings or door card parts! Fortunately, I didn't but, when the door card was eventually removed, there is a whole host of tricky cables to remove to actually get anything. Obvious really but, removing those could have been a real disaster imho and so, after all the effort of removal, quickly set about replacing it. Then found this article!!

The risk of bending or dislocating internals when refitting are high so, again, best avoided using the instructions here or, getting a professional to do the job for you!

I'm no idiot but, why don't Autoleads provide a conversion adapter with the lip removed already - that's what we want isn't it?? Well, its beyond me! I even went to Halfords, thinking I had been supplied the wrong adapters. I paid DOUBLE for exactly the same items but, have returned and got my money back.

Anyway... Sorry for the long-winded but, for those attempting the same, a couple of things:
1. The use of a hacksaw to remove the lip is long and arduous! Perhaps ask a friend for a lone of a bench grinder? I used hacksaw at first then, took the trouble to set up my (used in 10 years!) bench grinder and it was awsome... Lovely burning / melting smell too!
2. You don't have to be too accurate or close, just take 3-4mm off all round.
3. Once you have the first fitting, you could perhaps mark up the second before you fit to ensure you don't take too much off.
4. The adapters are rotation sensitive - the screws to attached to door card are not symetrical so, line the holes up before being tempted to drill new holes (I nearly did until I worked that out)
5. DO try to fit just a little bit of sound deadening behind the speaker on the door
6. I didn't disconnect my tweeter and when I turn it up to the new volume capability, the tweeter distorts and sounds rubbish. I haven't done mine yet but, I am going to remove the mid-door cloth / plastic trim and get my hand up to get to it... Unless anyone has any better ideas??? The internal door release doesn't feel like it wants to come out very easy.

So, this is my experience - maybe it will help others?

Thank you again for your excellent piece - nothing on YouTube!!!

John

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise