Stereo Advice

sick2death

Dec 3, 2009
SY11
So I'm a little confused what I should do, so appreciate anyones advice:

Basically, the CD changer on my LCR is kaput. At least, I presume so as the HU works fine, but whenever a CD is put in it comes up with Error or something along those lines.

So my options are:

a) To buy a new changer, which I can get off ebay for about £70

or

b) Buy a new front loading HU, cost obviously depending how good I want to go.

From reading around the factory fitted HU isnt much cop, so... what do you guys think I would be better off doing?

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
OEM HU are a bit pants, i've fitted an Alpine iDA X100.

I have to say that this is by for the best Stereo i've owned and i've had a lot Apline's as well as many other top brands.

I haven't changed any speakers from OEM and i'm not going to bother fitting my sub because the sound is very clear and there's plenty of bass. Although it has no CD player it's not been missed, I have an 16GB USB stick that holds roughly 180 CDs worth.

I do have an OEM 6CD changer in my garage, if you decide to stick with OEM i can do you a good deal.

iDA.jpg

sick2death

Dec 3, 2009
SY11
That looks seriously smart... did a quick google and its coming up £200-270... so a little more than I was looking at spending. Ideally I want something solid, but not ott, which will compliment the red, with an mp3 in jack.

Thinking about it, Im definatley going to go for a new HU. Any recommendations, up to around £150? Or is it worth paying a little more.

Thanks

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
I would stick with Alpine all the way, I have had 4 and they have NEVER failed! And I normally keep them for years before needing to upgrade, infact i swap cars more often and just move them to the new one. I have tried others, at least 10, had quite a good JVC once, but you just can't go wrong with an Alpine.

If you can live without a CD player then this one looks good. CDs just clutter up the place, you have to collect them all up and swap them for more indoors, with a stick you can just bring it in, plug it in and fill it up with new stuff.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-ida-x301rr-1.html

Have a look at the link, in budget too!

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Another vote from me for alpine too! I bought an alpine sub oooh back in 2004 now, been in about 3 of my previous cars, battered about all over the shop and also used as part of my home stereo on and off (where its currently in use!) and that things still going strong! Also had an Alpine HU I bought second hand off my mate a couple of years back, which between us must have seen about 3 years usage between about 4 different cars, again being banged about each time it was installed, and again never missed a beat! Good sound and build quality, cant really go wrong!

I would never buy anything by Alpine. I have had an Alpine iDA-X305 for about a year, it is awesome.

Excuse the naff pics...

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

Flawless interface with my iPhone, will support USB sticks. If you want, you can plumb in a CD-Changer, standard audio-jack too. Fits the Leon red illumination perfectly too.

Highly recommended piece of kit.

scott_83

does the origianl multi changer fit on to the back of your alpine?