Sticking gears

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
Hopping for an easy fix here.
Car has been randomly sticking when switching from 2nd gear, it randomly sticks needing a bit of force to get it out of gear.
Gear selection feel a little notchy and my bite point seems to change on random occasions, while the clutch pedal is pressed down sometimes (not always) it feels like the clutch is engaging or the bite point changes completely.

Really weird! Had a single mass flywheel and paddle clutch fitted last year so I'm guessing it's not a clutch problem or here's hoping. Car is a mk4 ibiza fr pd130.

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
The linkages under batterybox under bonnet? Is that the sticking gears issue that may be caused by them

rivigo

Jan 1, 2014
UK
Could be to do with the gear box. The main shaft in the 02M gearbox has a problem where it has play in it and it moves the clutch biting point and makes gears stick. Quick google brought the problem up for me

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
Will have a look at linkages.... It tends to be worst when the cars warned up.... I'm hoping its not gearbox though lol had enough pricey repairs on it latley. It's intermitent if it was a gearbox problem it may be more regular?

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
Ahhhh I see... The shim fix?
What gears does it effect with you? Is it sticking when you try to pull it out of gear or sticking when your trying to put it in gear?

Strange isn't it how its intermittent thanks for the link

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
Update!
Got advised to try disengage second with the engine off, turns out it still stayed locked in gear and needed force to take out, will try the shim fix if not it looks like gearbox rebuild!

rivigo

Jan 1, 2014
UK
Yeah that's the one. Usually first, but sometimes second. And my 5th gear whines. I really need to fit the shim, worth a go for £10 compared to £500 for a rebuild. I have heard of people who got the rebuild and it still did it and the shim needed to be fitted.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
It's not the NLS Shim you have to order, it's the shim kit direct from VW.

WHT-001-976 is the shim
02M-301-211-B is the black cover that has to be removed to install it.

I had the same issues a few months back, shim resolved the problem :)

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
Got it booked in with volksworks friday thinking worst as always lol will see if I can get a shim fitted before then, seems to be getting worse and reverse seems notchy now and 3rd 4th and 5th feel sticky when disengaging haha downhill spiral! Thanks badger and rivigo great help though.

Last edited:

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
Update
Just got car back, clutch was worn down to rivets after 10'000 miles, "uprated" cg Motorsport paddle clutch and single mass flywheel.
The rivets in the gearbox and selector forks had gone funny whatever that is.
New sachs clutch and back to a dual mass flywheel with the gearbox rebuild a cool £1000, feels completely different so going to take some getting used too haha like a new car. I saw horror stottys of CG Motorsport kits but initially had a good service from them but 10'000 miles from an uprated clutch isn't right surely!
Rant over.

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
15'000 and still going strong or worn out!?
Ye I just got the standard sachs dual mass and clutch as its only stage one and a darkside map so very smooth delivery.
The clutch does feel like it slips a bit on low revs but I'm putting that down to needing to bed in and going from an aggressive paddle clutch and SMF flywheel!

Thanks for your input and advice anyway badger always a help!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.