Stolen car keys

Labro

Nov 22, 2018
Had my keys stolen, car key included. Dealer says all barrels and ignition barrel to be changed plus all the coding etc, he quoted about £800. plus. Is there any other way I can make the car secure without all that expense. Car Ibeta 67. Quote by dealer. Any suggestions, ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Are they smart keys? Whenever I supplied a new car to a customer it had to be coded to the car which meant it and any other keys actually were recoded with a new coding making the old car key incompatible with the car, obviously the key blade would still unlock the doors.

Reactions: Labro

Labro

Nov 22, 2018
Are they smart keys? Whenever I supplied a new car to a customer it had to be coded to the car which meant it and any other keys actually were recoded with a new coding making the old car key incompatible with the car, obviously the key blade would still unlock the doors.
Thanks mate. Will look into it.

Labro

Nov 22, 2018
Hi Martin, Do I have to have the car and any keys recoded or just the keys or car? Not sure if I have to recode car and keys.

Labro

Nov 22, 2018
Unfortunately still working on it. Various locksmith quoted different prices form £140 to 250 and some cannot do it. They can re code the new keys but the old key can open the car but not b e able to start it. Due to current lockdown restrictions I shall have to wait another month to get it done.

Oct 18, 2020
Unfortunately still working on it. Various locksmith quoted different prices form £140 to 250 and some cannot do it. They can re code the new keys but the old key can open the car but not b e able to start it. Due to current lockdown restrictions I shall have to wait another month to get it done.

What I was thinking you probably already done this or though of it but RAC are doing a key replace as part of your package well you do have to add it on. You could take out monthly RAC package with key replace added wait a few days then say oh I’ve lost my car key. Well it says 2 weeks from setting up your package.
8cb3ba1b5fdb8e0334e7e5a4697f2e57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Labro

Nov 22, 2018
What I was thinking you probably already done this or though of it but RAC are doing a key replace as part of your package well you do have to add it on. You could take out monthly RAC package with key replace added wait a few days then say oh I’ve lost my car key. Well it says 2 weeks from setting up your package.
8cb3ba1b5fdb8e0334e7e5a4697f2e57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks will give it a try

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members