Strange sliding feeling at rear of car.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I've had new tyres fitted at the rear (F1 assymetric) and had 4 wheel alignment done.
Since was done there has been a sensation the the rear wheels either hopping slightly or sliding momenterily then regaining grip.
It was worst the first time I drove it, the traction light was coming on roundabouts.
I left it 300 miles or so, but it's still like it (except for the traction light).
I've taken it back once because the steering wheel wasn't straight. They fixed that but said there was nothing wrong with the rear, the 'yoof' just wanted to 'test' it without me in the car!

Any ideas?

redrobo150

Jul 24, 2006
ilson
rampage...
i just had eagle f1s assymos fitted to all four wheels im taking mine back to kw.. fi. for the 3rd time
as i have the same problem of feeling the back end swaying
all been balanced and alligned but still doing it

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I wonder if the steering wheel sensor needs setting up...

Needs vagcom & a straight bit of road.

That said, it might not have been aligned properly

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I've got eagle f1 assymetrics on all four corners. Never had this problem. I've changed my suspension set-up, but i get my wheel alignment done by a well known tuner. I never trust the cowboys at kwik fit.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
There was no print-out.

In what way Would the steering wheel sensor affect it?

Let me know how you get on redrobo.

Thanks.

nomad_fr

Aug 5, 2008
I've had new tyres fitted at the rear (F1 assymetric) and had 4 wheel alignment done.
Since was done there has been a sensation the the rear wheels either hopping slightly or sliding momenterily then regaining grip.
It was worst the first time I drove it, the traction light was coming on roundabouts.
I left it 300 miles or so, but it's still like it (except for the traction light).
I've taken it back once because the steering wheel wasn't straight. They fixed that but said there was nothing wrong with the rear, the 'yoof' just wanted to 'test' it without me in the car!

Any ideas?

This is spookily strange!
I had 2 bridgestone re050a's (assymetric) fitted on the rear last Thursday, got them to inflate to 31psi and also check the fronts.

Driving home was a nightmare, back end sliding (or feeling like it) and traction control light coming on! I put it down to the fact it had been sat on jacks for 40 minutes.

Next day - just as bad I literally crapped my pants driving it!
Checked the tyre pressures at work 33 in the back and 26 in the front :censored:
Put 31 all round and the drive home was much improved.

The traction light is still coming on though although not as much - at one stage doing a considerable speed in a straight line (70mph ;) ) the traction control light was flashing away!!

I was thinking of swapping back to fronts to see if that cured it?

Sio_08

have you checked the tyre pressures?and when you take your car back you might want to ask for a print out. and if it is still happening once you have taken the car back then go back again and ask to have a technician in the car with you.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I had the 2 front tyres changed today, they checked the tracking while I was there.
Everything was fine except the front tracking:

110uf2.jpg

It was using SuperTracker.
I'll let the tyres wear in a bit then see what it's like.

Sio_08

This might be a stupid question but have you checked the outer edges of the tyres?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members